Im new here and new to pool ownership!

Richard320 said:
Are you for real?

The huge majority of new members show up here when they have a green pool and an empty wallet from being pool stored!

:mrgreen:

LOL :mrgreen:
My pool has been opened by a pool pro because I needed to have it inspected prior to purchase. He cleared up the water for us and I have just been maintaining like he told me. Yes I have spent quite a bit of money at the pool store :rant: for the maintenance chemicals but I only purchased 3 inch slow tabs, powder shock, and a floater. Oh and also purchased DE. It was a pricey store visit :hammer: but I didn't know anything so I had to follow the directions I was given by a PRO. I am reading and re-reading the pool school, watching youtube vids (which are too difficult to follow as everyone has a different approach) and just trying to learn as much as possible. I don't have test results yet since my test kit isn't in my possession yet but my water is completely clear, it does seem to have a slight bit of a greenish tint (very slight) but that may be because it is concrete and is just gray lol. THe PO also didnt do a great job of cleaning it so that may contributing. Polaris 280 on order.

If you Chlorine is disappearing each day, check your CYA level. Test it and post it here. You can use the same water/reagent mix several times if you have problems reading the test. You can pout the water out of the tube and back into the bottle to retest itw without making a new solution. If you fill the tube and can still see the dot, you likely have between 0 and 20 PPM CYA.

Your pucks and bags will likely add some but if it's a fresh fill, you may not have enough. I know I was burning through CL earlier this month after my new fill. I got my CYA to about 30 and now the CL is much more stable (and the air temps went from 100+ to 75)

techguy said:
If you Chlorine is disappearing each day, check your CYA level. Test it and post it here. You can use the same water/reagent mix several times if you have problems reading the test. You can pout the water out of the tube and back into the bottle to retest itw without making a new solution. If you fill the tube and can still see the dot, you likely have between 0 and 20 PPM CYA.

Your pucks and bags will likely add some but if it's a fresh fill, you may not have enough. I know I was burning through CL earlier this month after my new fill. I got my CYA to about 30 and now the CL is much more stable (and the air temps went from 100+ to 75)

I will post my test results when I get my test kit, I havent been testing at the pool store. Its not a fresh fill, when the pool was opened some of the water was drained and I then added some but it was about a foot in total. I will shock the pool again with the powder on friday and so far I just have 2 pucks in each skimmer since last fridays 3lb shock. Plus I had many people in the pool on sunday so Im sure that also ate away some CL and the high temps.

Got my test kit yesterday!! Woohoo!

So I didnt have a lot of time because I had stuff to do in the house I only tested for CL and pH, both tested good CL 3 pH 7.5! Today I will shock the pool with the powder that I bought prior to coming here, I will be throwing it in the skimmers. I am pretty sure my pool is 24,000 gallons and my pool guy said use 3lbs, maybe I should just use 2.5lbs? I still have pucks in my skimmers but I want to move away from that and use a floater for now until I figure things out.

BTW I have a Nature2 cartridge thingy that supposedly allows 0.5 FC because it uses Ions and something...what do I do here?

Nature2 adds metals. You'll probably want to stop using it. Use the search box for it, you'll learn plenty from old threads! And you need to check CYA level before you add any more pucks. You might have CYA buildup. Check what that powder is, too. It's going to add CYA or calcium. You might not want to add more of either.

:testkit:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
Nature2 adds metals. You'll probably want to stop using it. Use the search box for it, you'll learn plenty from old threads! And you need to check CYA level before you add any more pucks. You might have CYA buildup. Check what that powder is, too. It's going to add CYA or calcium. You might not want to add more of either.

:testkit:

Should I just take out the cartridge? Can I modify the cartridge to accept pucks and use it as a chlorinator? I will test the CYA this evening since I didnt have any time yesterday. I definitely need to shock the pool this evening, its been a week. I am biting my elbows that I bought a bucket of shock so I want to use it at least lol :hammer:

Read up on the shocking process. Adding chlorine is not shocking. Once you have the process down you will find that using pucks will over stabilize your water and cause problems. Most likely you will want to stop using the pucks immediately.

Chlorine should be added manually everyday unless you're going the swcg route.

Most likely your FC levels are too low because the CYA level is too high since you've been using pucks. Reference the CYA / Chlorine relationship chart (in Pool School).

Converting the Nature2 system to a chlorinator might be a dangerous idea (I don't know how it works). If you have a floater, that is all you will ever need in the off chance that you go on vacation or will be gone for a few days. Post your test results and people will provide you with advice :goodjob:

Speedo said:
Read up on the shocking process. Adding chlorine is not shocking. Once you have the process down you will find that using pucks will over stabilize your water and cause problems. Most likely you will want to stop using the pucks immediately.

Chlorine should be added manually everyday unless you're going the swcg route.

Most likely your FC levels are too low because the CYA level is too high since you've been using pucks. Reference the CYA / Chlorine relationship chart (in Pool School).

Converting the Nature2 system to a chlorinator might be a dangerous idea (I don't know how it works). If you have a floater, that is all you will ever need in the off chance that you go on vacation or will be gone for a few days. Post your test results and people will provide you with advice :goodjob:

My FC is around 3.0 right now, well yesterday it was.

The import factor is how your CYA and FC relate to each other. An FC of 3.0 is great...assuming you have less than 50 CYA. If you have more than 30 ppm CYA, you are CYA Best Guess.png[/attachment]risking an algae bloom.

[attachment=0:1up6h3t9]CYA Best Guess.png[/attachment:1up6h3t9]

Attachments

• CYA Best Guess.png
    CYA Best Guess.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 102
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.