Take #3 well water / shocking ??

Jun 20, 2012
Swisher Iowa
Help -
New AG set up, fighting with leveling issues ( those have been remedied !) ,but now draining and refilling 2.5 times, I'm at a loss,
Took water sample in today
This is filled with well water / and no chemicals added since last Thursday
FC 0
TCI .01
Ph 7.3
Ch - didn't do at pool store
TA 102
Cya 0
Current water cloudy green
There recommendations, 1/2 bottle pool protect / assuming that's there brand of Sequestrant ???
An run that 24 hours,
And after 24 hrs add 3/4 gal shock run that 2 hrs and then 4oz algicide and begin chlorine tab/ floater
And that , they said will give me a sparkling pool ???
Helpppp I know better and I have read the cya chart for chlor and the shock processes, but I'm not sure if it's the kids at my side asking is it ready yet, or the heat, but I don't know exactly what and how much .
Help please, basic mom terms, I have BBB method stocked and ready just don't want to screw it up !!
As of tonight I have added 32oz of hth metal and stain remover and pump is running and I have a old wash cloth in skimmer basket catching rusty stuff? Changing that Out and rinsing filter hourly cuz its full of metals . So help me on my next move !!!!
Please and thanks TFP everyone and there amazing help on here
- Shawnee

Hi, I'm new to the BBB method and I understand what your going through!

I think the pool calculator is a really easy tool to help you determine how much bleach etc you need to add whether it is to maintain or reach shock levels.

Just go to http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and enter the total gallons of water in your pool. Enter all your current values in the "now" column and then enter the amounts you are trying to get your pool to in the "target" column. Then just click on calculate and it will tell you how much bleach or stabilizer etc to add. If you bought the larger bottles of bleach, then you can change the size on the drop down menu. if you mouse over a field it will tell you exactly how many bottles you need (it displays in total ounces).

Just follow the instructions for algae in the pool schools and you will get it clear.

I hope this helps!

Ok that helped A ton , kids, pool,summer break, kids, thinking and numbers ugh didn't even see the other fields I wasn't filling in :/
This well water nightmare is not gonna beat me !
My worst fear now is to either not shock long enough or to much, all my reading up has me nervous and the whole well water metals and stains, is about nerve wracking enough, but I plan on letting the metal &stain do it's thing, this is also Sequestrant to ( I hope maybe) and then begin shocking mid afternoon tomorrow , and it is recommended for my 8200gal that I shock at 10 and maintain that ? By doing the over night testing and clarity and cya levels ? I am constantly reviewing pool school and start up forums , thank goodness for people asking all the questions ! I know I can get this down, and to a normal blue pool , just need some simple guidance gettin there , shock at 10 with cya ( according to pool store/ hth test ) at zero ???

Iowawaterbabies said:
shock at 10 with cya ( according to pool store/ hth test ) at zero ???
Yes that is right.

Also, I would start getting some cya (i.e stabilizer/conditioner) in there. Shoot for 30 ppm cya while doing the shocking process. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of the return (water going back into pool).

I do love this website so much! I ask my rambling questions and still get help, pool store had me at about 197.00 of mandatory items I must get if i wanted to enjoy my pool by mid July, I smiled and thanked them for the water testing :)
Ok can I go with the BBB method for stabilization while in the shock process, i got this picture in my head of me out back adding chemicals and mixing and making a war zone,
Am I safe to begin shocking after 24 hours of metal and stain process or can I do this sooner,I'm worried that with the predicted heat in next 3 days of 100's and my pool gets sun till 5 pm that my shocking will get eatin up to fast?

I am on a well. Your TA is about where mine is. Your pH is fine. It sounds like you know you have metals in your water. I do. The best sequestrant I have found after using several brands is Jack's Magic brand. I use the Purple Stuff as I have a salt pool for a chlorine generator. You might want to call Jack's and see what they recommend. You need to get the CH up to about 200, as per Jack's. That is where their sequestrants work best. I would also get their sequest test kit.

Ok my nervous shock update, began shocking at 6 am, ran test via hth 6 way, not efficant but will have to suffice ,gonna have to make a order in the am of tf100, anyways, I had
FC 0 and ph 7.2
And I began with 1gal,1qt 1cup dose of 6% according to pool calculator , that was 7 am got that in and tested few mins after and FC was bright yellow,
I'm assuming my hth testing isn't going to assist in my shock process, however I'm starting and hopefully can have some success ???
At 10am , still yellow looked more at 5ppm on test , added same dose again, waited 2 hrs checked it was still bright bright beyond scale yellow tester , I also at that time made a sock with 1lb of stabilizer and hung tht from return,
Repeated testing at 2 and 4 , still very off the chart yellow,
Sock is all washed out , and I am testing now and it's showing 5ppm ???

The filter cartridge is been rinsed out a couple times today, it's still full of rust,
Right track???? Ph went up a bit 7.8 TA 100
I know test kit ASAP, first thing in am but can I kinda use the hth till new kit comes in ??
Is it worth taking water in to pool store, CYA won't show much change for a few days correct ???
Pointers? Corrections? Ugh ...I can't wait to master this stuff !!!!!
Thanks everyone :))

Iowawaterbabies said:
gonna have to make a order in the am of tf100
:goodjob:

Iowawaterbabies said:
tested few mins after and FC was bright yellow,
I'm assuming my hth testing isn't going to assist in my shock process, however I'm starting and hopefully can have some success ???
With the OTO you will only know when you drop below 5 ppm, so it will be a roller coaster ride for your FC.

Iowawaterbabies said:
Sock is all washed out , and I am testing now and it's showing 5ppm ???
Poolcalculator says 1 lb stabilizer will raise you cya to 15 ppm. It can take a week to show up and the hth test is typically not accurate below 30 ppm. I would add another lb into the sock to get up to 30 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:cheers: Welcome another Iowan! Yep, get the TF100 ordered. I would also recommend the SpeedyStir from the same site. Linen's got you covered, so I won't add more. My pools 17 yrs old, found this site in '09, & haven't looked back. When you get the hang of testing, & knowing what effects what, you will feel empowered, & actually you will understand a whole lot more than any pool store employee knows.

Also, since you are filtering out rust, that's probably iron in the fill water, & it's a good thing that your filter is catching it.

I've began a process of 3 filter cartridges, handful of old washcloths, and a 5 gal bucket of fresh tap water with bleach added( bout 2 cups/ to clean off rust) , and about every hour or less, swapping out filter and washcloth because there full full fulllllllll of rust, I'm assuming my pump and Sequestrant can't do the removal of iron before Xmas .... Seems to help, gonna reload my sock of stabilizer,and shock the snot out of it today's at a Lil prayer ...... and order my kit, I'm doin this blind I can tell !!!! :/
Thanks everyone:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.