First test of the season

steve_h

Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
Howdy all,

You all were a great help with my mustard algae problems, last season.

I bought the TFP test kit. Boy, did it arrive fast.
I pulled back the cover to test the water for the first time of the season and get used to the test kit.

Here are the results of the test.
FC=0 (expected)
CC=0 (also expected)
TC=0
pH=7.8
T/A=100 (good)
CH=90 (hmm!)
CYA=30 (gotta get this up)

I feel good about the T/A. The pH is easy to fix.

Since I have a vinyl pool, what is a good number for the CH?

Shocking the pool should take care of the FC.

I hope to get a good handle on the pool early and have less of a headache than last season.

I'll keep everyone posted.

The only reason you want some hardness in the water for a vinyl pool is because hard water does not foam as readily as soft. IMHO, anything over about 120 ppm is good. Since you have a SWG you will get better pH stability by lowering your TA a bit to around 70 ppm. Take a few minutes to read the sticky on water balance tips for SWGs. You might find it helpful. :-D

I noticed you did not post your salt level. If you need to test it the AquaChek salt test strips are, IMHO, the most accurate and easiest for home use. IF your CYA was in range last year and is now as low as you tested it then your salt is probably low also.

Thanks for the reply.

The reason I did not post any salt levels is because I have not started up the pool.

I am having some concrete work done around the pool and am leaving the cover on until the work is complete.
I am just filling the pool to the proper level. I am thinking about turning the filter on just to circulate things.

Thanks,

Hi, Steve,

You have a good grasp on the testing methods and your test results look like they're accurate.

I really like the idea of circulating the water and filtering ASAP. I'd put a small jug of clorox in there in the evening to keep your pool sanitized as well.

You seem to know what to do with the rest of your numbers and Waterbears CH advice is on the money.

Post back any additional questions you might have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.