LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Argyle, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Might someone consider doing a sticky on starting borates in a pool? I am seriously thinking about doing it and having read some about it, it seems to me that there is a definite process to go through. The way I seem to understand it is that you calculate the amount of boric acid you will need based on gallons, add half, add some acid, add the other half, and add some more acid. Or, you can use Proteam Supreme Plus and not add any acid. Once you get to 50 ppm borates, you stop and then test monthly, replacing boric acid once you get to 30 ppm. Is that about right?

Craig

Only it's not boric acid , it's borax! (sodium tetraborate)
With the pump running you half the acid first then immediately add half the borax, brush down the pool walls to mix, add the rest of the acid and the rest of the borax, brush again, run the pump for 24 to 48 hours and then test pH. If the pH is above 7.6 adjust it down to there with acid.
BEFORE YOU ADD BORATES make sure your TA is where you want it (If you have a SWG or are using liquid chlorine or bleach get it between 70-90 ppm) and the pH is between 7.4 to 7.6

If you are using 20 mule team borax then 60 oz by weight raises 1000 gallons 60 ppm and requires 30 fluid oz. of muriatic acid to neutralize the pH rise. Remember that 1 box of borax is 4.75 lbs (76 oz by weight)

Borax is only slightly more toxic than table salt and MUCH less toxic than asprin. Dogs should not drink out of the pool, not only because of the borates but because of the other chemicals in there such as the cyanurates, algaecides (some of which are EXTREMELY toxic), possibly salt, etc.. I have three dogs, a cat, and 50 ppm borates and no problems.
If you have a dog that consumes large quantities of pool water that is not a good thing and, IMHO, not reponsible pet ownership. Provide fresh drinking water for your pet and train them not to drink out of the pool.
The small amount that might get accicdentally ingested while swimming is not going to cause any problem.

If you have any doubts there is a simple solution, don't put any in your pool!

Remember that chlorine has a very bad reputation in some circles and all manner of horrible evil is attributed to it's use in pools, non of which stand up under a close look.

What I have seen said that dog which get all of their drinking water from a pool with 50 ppm of borates would be a little above the threshold for symptoms. Teach your pets not to drink pool water and they will be fine.

Humans are far less sensitive to borates than pets.

Thanks for the info waterbear! Our house (and pool) actually came with a dog. :shock: The previous owners were moving to an apartment and couldn't take her with them, so she conveyed at the closing. 8) She had lived here most of her life and indeed used the pool as her drinking bowl for about 7 years. She also swam in the pool quite often during the hot Texas summers. She wouldn't even drink from a regular water bowl, I guess because she had just always been allowed to drink from the pool after it was installed. We didn't know her exact age as the previous owners got her from a shelter, but the vet estimated that she was 11 or 12 when she died. The vet also said that she had lived pretty long for such a large dog (90 lbs or so).

I guess that when we get a new dog that I'll have to be certain not to allow drinking from the pool. :!:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.