Pump Replacement - 2 Speed Pump Recommendation

Nov 14, 2011
Galt, CA
First, I wanted to say that this is an great site with valuable knowledge and this is my first time asking a question on this site.

I'm a first time pool owner and this site has taught me so much.

We bought this house with a pool at the end of last year. I'm going to be installing solar in the near future but I want to change out the current pump before I proceed along with Automation.

Here is my current pool setup:
20,000 Gallon IG Pebble-Tec
(1) 2" Suction to Pump from 2 Drains and 2 Skimmers (shared pipe)
(1) 2" Return to (5) 3/4" eyeball fittings
(1) 2" Return to 4" Shear Waterfall
(1) 1.5" Return to Pressure Side Cleaner (Polaris 360)
Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1.5 HP Pump (P6E6F-207L)
Sta-Rite System 3 (300 Sq Ft) Filter
Distance to furthest Skimmer 46'
Distance to furthest Return Eyeball 60'
Note: Not using the Chlorine Feeder that is shown in picture. Using the BBB method :-D

The suction pipe into the pump is 18" above the pool water level. Currently when I'm filtering the pool (no Polaris) the gauge on the Filter reads 14 PSI. When I change the valve to run the Polaris and 5 Returns the gauge reads 18 PSI. Our electric rates ($0.11/kwh) do not dictate me moving to a VFD type pump.
I have been looking at the WhisperFlo WFDS-3/24 and the SuperFlo SF-N2-1A. I like the spec's on the SuperFlo pump because it would allow me to run the solar system throughout the day at a lower operating cost than the WhisperFlo.

The question that I have will the SuperFlo run the Polaris without any performance loss?
Also, will I get good skimming action with the SuperFlo with the 2 skimmers that I have compared to me current setup.

Thanks again

[attachment=1:108dlxc8]Pool1.jpg[/attachment:108dlxc8]
[attachment=0:108dlxc8]Pool2.jpg[/attachment:108dlxc8]

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 80
I think you might be better off with the Whisperflo over the Superflo. The Superflo is kind of designed for 1.5" pipes and has quick a bit lower flow than the Whisperflo would.

Having shear water falls and a pressure side cleaner, I think the 1HP Superflo might just not be enough.

Also realize that the WFDS-3/24 is only wired at 120V. I would have gotten this, but it would not work for my current electrical run. So I went with the 1HP Superflo that was 240V.

Depending on your setup, you may want to keep the same voltage as your current pump ... maybe the SF-N2-1-1/2A Super pump would be an option if the WFDS-4/26 is too large for 240V.

Maybe Mark will swing by this thread and can give you some numbers on what pump will work well for you.

BTW, my pool size is similar to yours and I have to wonder how good of skimming action the 1HP Superflo would give you. It works OK for my single skimmer, but running 2 skimmers might be a little questionable. I too will have solar, and am planning to run on high speed whenever solar is on.

Thanks for the info.

Currently, the pump pad is wired for 30 amps 220V. The pool installer ran the wire in a conduit along the house. When I cut the concrete for the Solar I'm going to change to location of the wiring into the attic down the wall then underground. I'm going to increase the amps from 30 to 60 so that I can run accessories like plugs and lights off the new automated panel.

Thanks,
Todd

My pad is currently wired with a 20A service over about 100' of 12AWG wire. So the voltage drop would have bee too large to run a 14A 120V pump on one leg.

You could probably get by with a 120V pump by the sounds of it ... especially after you increase the wire size to a 60A service.

Also, note that I do not think that some of the AMP ratings for the pump on Pentair's website are correct. For example, I do not think the 1HP Superflo (6A at 230V) can use less power than the 3/4HP Superflo (14.6A at 115V). I really wish they had something between the WFDS-3 and WFDS-4 that was 230V.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.