1st Test with TF Test Kit

Mar 5, 2008
I got the following results from my first test, just want to make sure there's nothing out of the ordinary:

FC 6.5
CC .5
TC 7
PH 7.8 (I only saw this test in the daily plastic blue box - or did I miss something?)
T/A 50
CH 40
CYA 0
Temp 77

According to http://www.poolcalculator.com/, I want to add the following:
117 oz baking soda
53 oz stabillizer
326 oz calcium chloride

I know I want to put my stabilizier in a sock in the skimmer to let it dissolve - the other chemicals we've been dumping in through the skimmer - hope that's OK.

Just appreciate the sanity check from you guys!

Since you have a vinyl pool you can skip the calcium.

If you are using bleach you can aim for a slightly lower TA, try 80 rather than 90, which would be 84 oz of baking soda.

The CYA number you listed sounds great. [EDIT]The amount of CYA you are planning to add sounds perfect.[/EDIT]

You should also bring the PH down a little, to 7.4 or 7.5, before adding the baking soda.

Hi Kat,

I think Jason went off auto-pilot. :lol: ...CYA of zero sounds perfect? :shock:
ETA: or did you mean the amount of CYA to add was perfect? Then my bad :oops:

Well, your water temp looks perfect to me!

Either Jason or another guru will be here shortly to clarify :)

As far as the calcium goes just remember that soft water tends to foam more readily than hard water. Since it seems your fill water is very soft you might want to consider adding enough calcium to bring the CH up to about 120 ppm or so.

Also, IMHO, the only chemicals that are safe to dump into the skimmer are CYA, baking soda, borax, and (not that I use or recommend them) phosphate removers, which need to be poured into the skimmer or they really cloud the pool for days. All other should be predissolved or diluted and broadcast on the water or, if liquid, poured slowly into the stream of the return.

Hi all,

I did another CYA test and the water at least looked cloudy this time rather then clear - although I could see the black dot fine so I guess that means I'm still at 0.

Also - I don't think I got an answer on this one:

PH 7.8 (I only saw this test in the daily plastic blue box - or did I miss something?)

When I did my second test, it looked more like 7.2 (and I didn't add anything that should affect PH) - but comparing the color is difficult and subjective. I was hoping there was a more accurate test for this - maybe I'm missing something?

Kat,

Nope....that's the only pH test there is. The next step up is VERY expensive digital meters which, reportedly, can be troublesome. That's the test we all use and you'll get used to it. try to test in the same lighting conditions each time and you'll get repeatable results.

PS - It's an important test. Keep that blue kit near the pool and check the pH and TC often.

You could call that CYA reading 10 ppm just to have an approximate number, it might actually be anywhere from about 5 to 20. If you added the CYA on Friday or Saturday then it might still be coming up. CYA sometimes takes as long as a week to dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.