Test Kit... which one is necessary for my issues and pool?

jen088

May 13, 2012
So, all I have been using is the 3 way test kit and checking the pH and chlorine on my Intex 12x36 above ground pool. This has worked quite well until my levels dropped and now I am having to shock my pool to get rid of the algae. My question is, do I need one of the super expensive test kits to figure out what is going on? The chlorine reading on mine only goes from .6 to 5.0, so when I read about testing for "shock level" (which I still don't completely understand), do the more expensive test kits give a wider range of levels so I know when I have gone high enough without going too high? I don't at all understand what CYA levels are, but I know the expensive test kits will test that as well. Just trying to figure out if it is necessary to go get one or not so I don't waste money.

Thanks!

Re: Test Kit... which one is necessary for my issues and poo

How many gallons of water does your pool hold?

On smaller pools it's usually less expensive to just replace the water and start over than to complete the shock process and buy an expensive test kit.

What he said, A good test kit like the TFTestkits TF-100 will allow you know more about what is going on in your pool and therefore make it easier to manage, this is a bigger issue the larger your pool is and the harder and more costly water replacement is. With a fairly small pool a simple test kit like you have will allow you to monitor the essentials and as long as you keep everything in line all should be OK, particularly if you are careful about what you add to your water, and keep track of the expected effects, and when it all goes wrong you can just dump the water and refill relatively easily.

Ike

p.s. as an in between option you might want to consider the TF-50 from TFTestkits, it is a smaller more basic version of the TF-100 which assumes you already have a pH test and an OTO or DPD chlorine test

No need for a fancy test kit. My local pool store said they would test my water for free any time and said it would probably be best if I let them test it once a week. The print out tells exactly what type of product I need to fix any problems. I know they offer this service assuming I will spend money on their products, so it is not out of the kindness of their hearts... but I am just as thankful! Wonderful folks!

I will toss out a warning. Pool store tests SUCK! Using a tester like you have and testing your own water you can manage a pool for MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than their "free testing" services will provide.

My suggestion to you is simple......
1. Drain your pool. I would guess that you can replace 100% of the water for FAR less than you can treat the green pool.
2. Refill with fresh water
3. Test and adjust your PH level to about 7.4
4. Add one chlorine tablet that you can pick up at Wal-Mart. Assume your new CYA level is 20.
5. Once that dissolves then start using liquid bleach. Test daily with your three way kit. If it shows ANY color....go swimming. Add one cup bleach once you're finished swimming. If the color is clear....add one cup bleach, wait a few minutes, go swimming.
6. Test PH weekly

Do your own testing and the only chlorine you will need is a few cups of bleach every week. If it does happen to get green again.....drain again. The pool store will only have you toss in bags upon bags of shock, which will cost you far more money than a full drain will cost. It will also add to your CYA level, which is what I'd bet led you to this problem in the first place.

What chemicals have you added to the pool in the past?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.