connecting liquidator

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
I decided to order the 8gallon Liquidator. I have one question about where to connect it to the suction side. Since I have a spa, I could connect it to the pool suction line or the suction line right before it goes into the pump so that regardless of whether I am in pool mode or in spa mode chlorine is injected. I guess my concern is that if I am in spa mode and it is connected on the combined line that I may be putting too much chlorine in. Thoughts?

Duraleigh -

Good question....

When my pool is in "pool mode', there is also flow into the spa through the 6 jets (the valve is partially open, so the flow is about 1/4 of what it is when it is in spa mode), with a spillover into the pool. The spa drains are kept closed in this mode. When in "spa mode", the spa drains are opened and no water flows into the pool over the spillover. So, when in pool mode, I would still have treated water flowing into the spa. If I connect only to the pool suction line, I will be tapping into a vertical pipe versus a horizontal pipe....not sure that this matters. If I connect after the valve and before the pump, I would then be connecting into a horizontal pipe.

This time of year, the spa gets the most use....by the kids, of course. As we move into the summer, I expect that the pool will be used more and the spa will be used less.....not that this necessarily matters.

If the spa is only in spa mode for an hour or less and is then switched to overflow mode the rest of the time there won't be any problem getting enough chlorine to the spa. If you leave the spa in spa mode for several hours at a time there could be an issue.

It doesn't matter if the pipe is horizontal or vertical and distance from the pump only makes a small difference.

I am a bit confused... Does your spa have it's own pump or does it run off the same pool pump?

Ideas... (Good/Bad but hope it let's you think of something out of the box...)

If you have two suction lines running to a spa pump and one for the pool:
-Purchase another flow meter from Hasa and ball valve. Purchase a "Y" connector.
-Insert the "Y" before the ball valves and The Liquidator.
-Connect some tubing to the "Y" and the ball valve.
-Plumb to the spa side and the pool side.

If you have only a single suction side line feeding your pump for both spa & pool:
-Purchase two Mazzei Injectors
-Purchase another flow meter from Hasa and ball valve
-Install Mazzei Injectors on the pressure side of the pump (between the pump and Spa/Pool)
-You can meter how much chlorine gets into the Spa vs Pool

I am no expert, just sharing some thoughts for you to research. Let us know what you do.

Thanks,
Mike

Jason - my guess is that the spa would be used for an hour or two at most and the pump will be running for about 12 hours/day.

Mike - thanks for the additional ideas. I have one pump that runs both the pool and spa. The pool and spa have their own suction lines that come out of the ground into a valve, which then brings a single line into the pump. (starting to wonder if I should have had a separate pump for the spa as the kids like to have the spa on and the sheer descent in the pool on at the same time....guess that may be another project down the line).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.