How many return inlets do I need?

meg

Jun 25, 2012
Hi, my husband and I are renovating our concrete/gunite pool. The pool was built in 1970 and needs some work. The previous owner concreted the main drain (apparently easier than repairing the leak), so we will have to go without it. My question is this: currently, the pool only has 2 return inlets, which are both in the shallow end. Since, we do not have a main drain, I think we need to add more inlets, but I am not sure how many an where they should be located. The pool is kidney shaped and about 27,000 gallons. We will have one skimmer. Can anyone help me with this? Thank you

Thank you, I have attached photos. the only 2 return inlets are the ones to the right of the steps. Also, we should re-pipe with 2" PVC, correct?

Attachments

• Pool 1 before.jpg
    Pool 1 before.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 188
  • pool 2 before.jpg
    pool 2 before.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 181
  • pool 3 before.jpg
    pool 3 before.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 182
Just added 2 additional photos. The new skimmer (not sure if you can tell from the photos) is located before the ladder, if looking at the pool from the shallow end.

Attachments

• pool 4 before.jpg
    pool 4 before.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 179
  • pool 5 before.jpg
    pool 5 before.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 178
If I may suggest?
With the cancellation of the main drain and only one suction point (the skimmer) you're going to experience a suction side restriction. Since it seems likely you're planning to replumb pretty much the whole pool. If recovering the drain is not an option, perhaps another skimmer, or, possibly better, a through wall main drain. That is, dig down, away from the skimmer, and install two fixtures, well below the frost line, at least thee feet apart and teed together (to avoid suction entrapment). This will greatly improve the circulation.

If it's not already there you might also consider installing a line for a pressure side pool cleaner. This will put freshly filtered water, via the cleaner, into the pool, as the cleaner makes its way around the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.