Cleaning a Filter

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Hello All:

Well, as I had sand almost constantly in my pool last year, I have removed all the sand, pulled out the lateral assembly and found there to be no damage...it originally had Zeobrite in it. It is a Hayward s210.

Two questions:

Should I put pea gravel in just up over the laterals before replacing the zeobrite I took out?

Should I change from Zeobrite to something else? Is it the problem, is it two small?

Thanks,

Rik

You should also check the fit of the vertical pipe that runs up the center of the filter. Some people have slip fit pipes that sometimes fit too loosely and allow sand through between them.

Zeobrite does occasionally get crushed and form a powder that can get through the laterals. That would show up as a white cloud coming into the pool, not as sand in the pool.

The Zeobrite people strongly reccomend pea gravel in filters that are 30" or larger and say it can be used in smaller filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.