Water in my electrical box...

RMoss

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 13, 2012
Take a gander at this...

7439884942_811c379a1c_z.jpg

So... I fell asleep with the hose running, topping off the pool. :hammer: Next morning, in addition to a completely full pool, I find the above situation. I decided to used the breaker switch in the garage to turn the pumps on and off so I could switch over the filter valve and eject water. As the level went down, the stream of water from the switch box slowed and then stopped.

What. The. Heck!

Is one of those conduits going to the light? If so, you have a major code issue someplace in the circuit. The first junction box is supposed to be well above pool level to prevent that from happening.

The short connection between the two junction boxes must be right at the same level as the top of the pool. It is hard to tell from there but that is my guess. Also, if one of those two flex conduits is the feed from the light, and I would guess one is, then it is most likely that it, or both, are full of water. Do you have a shot of the junction box for the light near the pool edge, assuming there is one?

I don't recall seeing one but I will look again when I get home. I was thinking the same thing about the flex conduits. They have to have water in them...

If one was there it should be sticking up out of the deck. This is why they are usually put in the deepend. The diving board goes over the top so you don't stub your toe on it. The reason they are put above the deck is for this very reason. Water can be in the conduit from the nitch to the above ground junction box and not actually get into the junction box. The wire for the light is rated to be wet.

Here is a picture of my junction box for my light. The pool is approximately 4' below this junction box to give you an idea of what you're looking for. If that junction box to the right of your filter is serving the same purpose, you aren't too much higher than the pool if at all.

Attachments

• Lightbox.jpg
    Lightbox.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 138
Not really seeing anything like that on my pool. Just one box for an outlet...

7451473132_ddc5e71fb6_c.jpg

7451469474_5b2cc1b75e_c.jpg

Nothing on the pool side of the brick columns.

Also I tried turning on the lights and it appeared to trip a breaker. I say appeared because the switch doesn't have the orange indicator, but it made an instant click and sort of flipped back down just slightly, though not all the way down. Anyway, I couldn't see any light in the pool. So, it would appear that I have water in the lights or in the circuit somewhere causing a short. Yay! :grrrr:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will bet that the junction box with the flex conduit is in your case the equivalent of a light deck box. It needs to be raised up to meet Code and to prevent flooding. Good thing is that with the flex conduit it can be raised with not a lot of trouble. This will require new conduit between the junction box and the switch. It is also likely that water in the junction box and/or switch is causing your breaker to trip. These boxes will need to opened, drained of the water, and dried out. Turn off the AC supply to this circuit before doing any of the above.

I will agree with Luna31d. You will need to have those junction boxes both raised up above the flood level of the pool. Unfortunatly, looking at the last pictures you sent it may require some re-wiring as there is not enough room above the current location...you obviously don't want them mounted to the railing. I would look into relocating them to the area on the other side of the filter.

Nice place by the way

So I met with the electrician and we're going to raise the first junction box up about two feet to a new post that will be added inbetween the black fence and the white railing. I wanted to close off that gap anyway. Also, he reset the GFCI and turned on the lights and they are working. So that's a relief. Just need to fix this one issue and I think everything's okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.