Hayward Power Flo LX Pump and 16" Sand Filter vs Intex 2650

Mar 28, 2012
Hey everyone. I have a 1hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump and 16" Hayward sand filter. Everything works great! Excellent suction and return! This is running on an Intex Ultra Frame 18x52 AG.

Friend has the same pool and just purchased the Intex 2650 sand filter/pump combo and says it works good.

His is running at 5 amps/115v. Mine is running at 11.5amps/115v. Apparently the Intex is more efficient.

Was considering selling mine and getting the Intex. Any thoughts? Is the Intex as reliable? Are the Intex pumps serviceable?

Re: Hayward Power Flo LX Pump and 16" Sand Filter vs Intex 2

I have the exact filter but my pump is a 3/4 hp. I have too much pump for that size filter. At 1 hp, you're in the same boat. Next year, if the money's there, I plan to get a 200 lb filter and a dual speed pump motor.

Your filter and the Intex are about the same size. A smaller motor will be more efficient. No need to change the filter. That said, if you are set on replacing it all, why not upgrade to a bigger filter and a more efficient 2 speed pump. Our filters are borderline small for 18' pools and our pumps, motors are over kill.

Bama Rambler said:
The intex isn't more efficient it's just a much smaller pump. It's rated at less than 1/2 hp.

I thought the 2650 was a 1 hp, found this online, Intex 2650 Saltwater Sand Filter Pump
Intex Model: 56681
.95 HP Motor Pumps 2650 gal/hr?? Misprint?

There are other things that lead to the amperage draw. Length of extension cord coupled with improper sized wire gauge. Both can cause a voltage drop which in turn increases amp draw and heat. Any corrosion on the plugs and motor terminals will do it too.

Motor manufacturers are playing algebraic subterfuge these days. It's possible to have different horsepower ratings for the same motor by changing the Service Factor rating. What they do is up the HP rating and lower the SF rating

Horsepower X Service Factor = Total Brake Horsepower

3/4 HP Full-Rated .75 x 1.5 = 1.13
1.0 HP Up-Rated 1.0 x 1.13 =1.13

yeggim said:
There are other things that lead to the amperage draw. Length of extension cord coupled with improper sized wire gauge. Both can cause a voltage drop which in turn increases amp draw and heat. Any corrosion on the plugs and motor terminals will do it too.

Motor manufacturers are playing algebraic subterfuge these days. It possible to have different horsepower ratings for the same motor by changing the Service Factor rating. What they do is up the HP rating and lower the SF rating

Horsepower X Service Factor = Total Brake Horsepower

3/4 HP Full-Rated .75 x 1.5 = 1.13
1.0 HP Up-Rated 1.0 x 1.13 =1.13

Okay, that should do it for the HP differences. I do think mine pumps more water. I have no problem with suction or return. Pool is crystal clear! I am running a fairly long and not too heavy extension cord. Maybe I should switch to a heavier gauge cord.

Still wondering if it's advantageous to sell my setup for $250 and purchase the Intex 2650 for $200 with free shipping? Any thoughts on this?

kblake74 said:
Still wondering if it's advantageous to sell my setup for $250 and purchase the Intex 2650 for $200 with free shipping? Any thoughts on this?
I wouldn't. That Intex combo is rated for 16' pools maximum. You should be able to run your setup for shorter durations than the Intex and keep the pool clear. It should even out as far as electrical costs. If lower electric costs are the driving factor then I would just change the motor to a 2 speed full rated 3/4 HP.

I don't think an impeller change is needed but maybe one of the pump guys will chime in.

yeggim said:
kblake74 said:
I wouldn't. That Intex combo is rated for 16' pools maximum. You should be able to run your setup for shorter durations than the Intex and keep the pool clear. It should even out as far as electrical costs. If lower electric costs are the driving factor then I would just change the motor to a 2 speed full rated 3/4 HP.

I don't think an impeller change is needed but maybe one of the pump guys will chime in.

Thanks yeggim, is this what your talking about? SKU #: PPN1048 | Part #: 340203
Pentair 3/4 HP Dynamo Pump -115V

kblake74 said:
Nope. That looks like the pump I have. Mine is a full rated 3/4 HP. It's SF is 1.0 It's too much pump for the 100 LB. sand filters we have. A full rated single speed 1/2 HP is plenty for our filters.

What's the Service Factor on your present motor? You could be drawing the same amount of wattage with that 3/4 HP if your present motor is an uprated 1 HP.

The most cost effective solution might be to throttle back on pump time and keep everything as is till something wears out. I only need to run my pump about 4 to 6 hours a day depending on swimmer load.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

yeggim said:
kblake74 said:
Nope. That looks like the pump I have. Mine is a full rated 3/4 HP. It's SF is 1.0 It's too much pump for the 100 LB. sand filters we have. A full rated single speed 1/2 HP is plenty for our filters.

What's the Service Factor on your present motor? You could be drawing the same amount of wattage with that 3/4 HP if your present motor is an uprated 1 HP.

The most cost effective solution might be to throttle back on pump time and keep everything as is till something wears out. I only need to run my pump about 4 to 6 hours a day depending on swimmer load.

The SF of my pump is 1.0. It seems to work great. I was running it 5hrs a day but have now throttled back to 3-4. Why do you think it's too much pump for the filter? What determines this?
1340718025-665.jpg_m.jpg

kblake74 said:
The SF of my pump is 1.0. It seems to work great. I was running it 5hrs a day but have now throttled back to 3-4. Why do you think it's too much pump for the filter? What determines this?
I get very fine dirt and fine sand that blows through my filter. The force of the water will push those fines through the sand until the sand gets dirty enough to trap them. It diminishes the more I vacuum but there's always some that settle in the creases of my liner after the filter has been running. If you don't have that problem that's good but from an energy standpoint a 3/4 is still overkill.

Like I said, I'm not a pump expert but that 3/4 HP will draw less than your present pump. From a money stand point, I don't think it will pay for itself in energy savings.

yeggim said:
kblake74 said:
I get very fine dirt and fine sand that blows through my filter. The force of the water will push those fines through the sand until the sand gets dirty enough to trap them. It diminishes the more I vacuum but there's always some that settle in the creases of my liner after the filter has been running. If you don't have that problem that's good but from an energy standpoint a 3/4 is still overkill.

Like I said, I'm not a pump expert but that 3/4 HP will draw less than your present pump. From a money stand point, I don't think it will pay for itself in energy savings.

I was wondering where the sand was coming from. Thought the kids were tracking it in. I'll run it this way till next year. Maybe purchase a new pump and keep this one as a backup.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

That pump is very large for that filter. Your filter however is sized at the minimum we would recommend for that pool (~ 1.4 sq. ft.), so that part of the equation is fine.

linen said:
That pump is very large for that filter. Your filter however is sized at the minimum we would recommend for that pool (~ 1.4 sq. ft.), so that part of the equation is fine.

What pump would you recommend for my filter? I'll put it on my xmas list! :-D

It is hard to get a pump small enough for that filter. I would probably buy a 2-speed pump and run in low except when vacuuming. A good choice would be the 2-speed Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp (product number 340203). It is pretty much the smallest 2-speed available, that I am aware of.

linen said:
It is hard to get a pump small enough for that filter. I would probably buy a 2-speed pump and run in low except when vacuuming. A good choice would be the 2-speed Pentair Dynamo 3/4 hp (product number 340203). It is pretty much the smallest 2-speed available, that I am aware of.

Thank you, I will check it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.