Rising water temperature: Chlorine Usage.

Thinkly

Oct 12, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I read this on another thread
Sunlight uses up more chlorine when the water is warm than it does when the water is colder.

I know this to be true but I don't have a firm understanding of the reason. I read one thread that said the warmer water basically creates a better environment for algae to grow but that it really doesn't cause more chrlorine use. This seems contradictory because basically it does cause more chlorine use, if only to fight the more present algae.

Also, why does the pool calculator not account for temperature when using free chlorine figures? I can try and raise my FC by 2 at 50F and at 100F and the same amount of chlorine is needed according to the calculator. I suppose the answer will be: because the water temp, doesn't effect chlorine consumption, while in reality it really does, it effects it drastically in my experience.

The pool calculator does not care how much chlorine, that is your job. All the calculator does is calculates how much concentration change you can expect from a known addition added to a known pool size.

If you find that you need more chlorine, then you need to adjust how often or how much chlorine you put in your pool.

I should clarify, it does not care how much chlorine your pool is using. Sorry about that :oops:

The calculator is dumb, you tell it how much you have and you tell it where you want it to go, it calculates how much chlorine to put in.

linen said:
The calculator is dumb
Now you're going to offend Jason! :p

JK, but seriously it doesn't care how much chlorine. It calculates the difference. I think most people understand that and this conversion doesn't really answer the temperature to usage ratio.

My chlorine usage doesn't appear to change with the temperature, but it does change with the amount of sunlight (which makes it warmer).

EDIT: Just realized I answered a question from a user who has an anti-speedo avatar. :hammer:
I feel the same way though. I only wear the speedo by myself and with my fiance, because it's like underwear :mrgreen:
Under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to be seen or see any other dudes with one on. Or maybe it means beware is in, bikini guys ahead!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.