Cutting a liner for new intake and return. With pics.

GreatCanadian

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2011
St. John's, Newfoundland
I have a new Summer Escapes pool (see sig). If any of you have a pool like mine you will know that the included pump and filter system is very inadequate. I already had an intex sand filter, so I cut new intake and return holes for the sand filter, leaving the included pump set up as intended. This is the first time this pool was set up, so it was only about 1/4 full when I did this, making the job much easier. However, it can be done when the pool is full also. I've done that before as well with no problems. Not sure if I will get the pictures in correctly, but I'll give it a shot. Anyhow, here is what I did:

1. I first reinforced the area to be cut with a piece of vinyl patch material. This is NOT a necessary step, but my neighbor had a vinyl repair kit (he works in the upholstery repair industry so I figured I may as well use it).

2. I then used the rubber gasket for the Intex intake/return as a template to draw a circle on the reinforcement. (Use the inside circle of the gasket not the outside!!)

3. I then VERY CAREFULLY cut along the outside of the circle using a utility knife with a fresh, sharp blade.

4. Then I installed the new intake/return nozzle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gpomroy/LinerCut?authuser=0&feat=directlink

The pool is filled, and all things working fine.

IMPORTANT!! When cutting the hole, do not try for a snug fit. Slightly too big is good. If it's a snug fit, you will more than likely have leakage. I (as well as others on this forum) have experienced this.

GC

Attachments

• IMG-20120623-00127.jpg
    IMG-20120623-00127.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 581
Re: Cutting an Intex-type liner for new intake and return. W

You could have also cut the circle out on the vinyl patch before gluing it onto the pool liner. I find it makes and easier and safer cut to the liner as the knife is guided along the added patch. Just saying.

Yep. Could have done it that way. But for me I would just as soon make 1 cut instead of 2. Also, if you're not adding reinforcement, you can't do that. If you're careful and your knife is good and sharp, you won't have a problem. That being said, your idea is probably a great way to go for someone who may be a bit intimidated - or first timers!!

Oh yeah. Slip of the blade can be a costly mistake. I know cutting my $1k pool was a little intimidating. But I manned up! Did it at night.... In the dark..... LOL which I definitely don't recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.