verifying instructions

Kelleyaynn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE
I'm getting ready to start the procedure to get rid of mustard algae, and I wanted to make sure I understand the directions correctly. From the way I read it, I need to make sure when I first shock at the "regular" level, and then again at the mustard algae level, I need to test and add chlorine to keep the FC at shock value for the entire shock process. I don't just add chlorine up to shock level and then run the pump for 24 hours, correct?

Kelley

You run the pump 24/7 through the whole procedure, and test/adjust FC levels as frequently as practical, up to once per hour. Checking the FC level frequently is especially important at the start of the process.

duraleigh said:
when I first shock at the "regular" level, and then again at the mustard algae level,
Not sure what you mean but bring your FC right up to Mustard algae level on the first dose and then keep it there.

The instructions in Pool School say to bring it up to normal shock value first, then to mustard algae level. But, if it's fine to bring it right up to mustard algae level, that's what I'll do.

It is only important to have FC at mustard algae shock level for the final 24 hours. You can raise FC above regular shock during the earlier portion of the process if you want but it is a very slight waste of chlorine to raise FC earlier.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.