Using Trichlor 3" pucks along with SWG???

Jun 12, 2010
Levelland Texas
Hello everyone.... :lol:...I'm sure this answer is somewhere in this website....but finding it is tough with so many threads so heres my question.....

I have a SWCG...my FC has stayed between 3.5 and 6 for over a week now.....shocking once right after filling up with new liner......

BUT.....my Ph keeps rising to about 7.8 or 7.9.....and my CYA has maintained about 55-60...(that is with adding some stabilizer in the beginning)....

***Could I use some trichlor pucks in a floater along with my SWG to "Help keep my Ph down and raise my CYA"?***
(I read this "NOTE" in the Pool Calculator under FC).....not sure if this would be over kill or not???

P.S.....I am using 6% bleach as my shock to help boost the SWG.

Thanks in advance for any advice someone might give me on this!@!@@!

Yes, you can.

The source of your chemicals is not as important as whether it is the right chemical in the right amount.

It won't take many pucks to raise your CYA, so be careful. Down near the bottom of the pool calculator, it will tell you how much CYA you will be adding with every 8 oz puck, provided you have entered your pool volume.

Muriatic acid is the simplest way to adjust pH. It's cheap, too. No unwanted side effects.

If you get the SWCG adjusted right, you shouldn't need to add additional chlorine. Except when you have a big load, like a swim party or a windstorm dumps a load of debris in the pool.

Thanks Richard320.....

yes, I've gone through several nights of dry acid lowering my Ph and then aerating to lower my TA (which is staying high at 130-140)....but can't seem to keep that process up continuously since my ph is up by the very next day.......may try muriatic acid instead if it is cheaper......do I just keep adding it as my Ph goes up from day to day???

so, If I add a 8oz puck or two (will check pool calculator for this) should I decrease my SWG running time any??

laweatherred said:
so, If I add a 8oz puck or two (will check pool calculator for this) should I decrease my SWG running time any??
Not yet. Not until you get the CYA level up and your chlorine levels start climbing. If your CYA is 60, your FC should never get below 5. Never, ever. Not even at the worst part of the day, late afternoon/evening after the worst of the heat and sun and a bunch of sweaty kids have been jumping in the pool.

Using Trichlor 3" pucks along with SWG???

Ok well it was beginning to look a little yuk so I did shock it again tonight after we had been in it so should I just add some stabilizer and bring my CYA up a little tomorrow?? had been thinking it was too low all along.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.