Slight problem due to my own stupidity,slothfulness...

Lancek

Jun 21, 2012
Brentwood, TN
Hi everyone. I'm a NooB who just found this site, while researching my problem. I am amazed at the willingness of everyone here to help a poor soul in distress!

My problem is that through plain old ignorance, I have raised my salt level way too high. :oops: . Evidently, my salt cell was going bad, and kept reporting low salt levels (this started last summer). To make a long story short, I kept throwing more salt at it. I finally took a sample into the pool store and had them test it - 5400 ppm ( should be 3000ppm). I have been keeping the clorine regulated via 3" pucks.

I have a service call into the pool store for the cell. I know I have to partially drain and refill the pool to bring the salt level in line. My question is, should I do that before the serviceman comes, or should I wait until after he checks things out?

After I get the SWG up and running again, I plan to implement the BBB methodology. My current method has been to check the clorine level and pH on a rather random schedule and adjust accordingly using pool store chemicals. I just bought the t2006 test kit and my numbers are pretty good, so I guess I've been lucky:

FC: 10
TC: 10 ( I can't see any change in color)
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 100
CYA: 100
CH: 200

I know TA and CYA are a little high, but they'll change with the partial drain/refill, so I'm not too worried about that now.

Thanks in advance.

I would drain and refill before he gets there. If you don't, he's most likely going to blame that and tell you that you have to get it down before he can test anything and that'll cost you another service call.

Thanks Dave, I partially drained this morning and started refilling. Guess who showed up right at that point. He put in a new cell, and tested. It came right on and showed 5300 ppm, so at least the control board was OK. Refilling continues. Sure is a lot slower than taking it down!

Should I shock after the refill finishes, or just let the SWG handle it? I'll supplement with bleach until the SWG is up to speed either way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.