PVC piping a filter question????

Apr 1, 2012
Hi
I'm thinking about piping my filter with PVC my questions are if I have a long run for the supply and return lines will it effect the performance of the filter or damage it by making it work to hard the pump is a 1 hp 60 gpm Hayward and the run is about 24 ft and also what depth should I put them I will blow them out when I winterize. And anything else I should know? Thankyou

That does not sound like too long of a run.

Using a larger pipe greatly reduces the head loss. You could probably use 1.5" but 2" would be better.

If you are going to blow them out for winter, I would say you still want them at least a foot down. Also running a tracer wire above the pipe might be a good idea for future reference.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Bama Rambler said:
There's a lot more we need to know before we can answer that question properly.

Is this an aboveground or inground pool?
What is your location?
What model is the pump?

Semi inground
northeast. Long island
Haywood pump 1 hp. 60gpm. Not sure of model could check in mornin if that important

Thankyou for the help

jblizzle said:
That does not sound like too long of a run.

Using a larger pipe greatly reduces the head loss. You could probably use 1.5" but 2" would be better.

If you are going to blow them out for winter, I would say you still want them at least a foot down. Also running a tracer wire above the pipe might be a good idea for future reference.

The 2" will give me more volume of water but will that reduce the pressure at the return in the pool. Thankyou for the help

No opposite in fact. The greater flow rate is what you want. You can use the eyeball size to adjust hire strong the jet feels.

Is it an aboveground that's partially buried or an inground that built up?

It would help to know the model of the pump. They have different curves and without the model it's a guessing game.

In Long Island you probably need to bury the piping 24" deep or more. You may have to meet code there and should probably check with the building athority.

Running 2" plumbing would help. Pool plumbing is inverse to normal thinking. You want to run the plumbing as large as practical because it has less restriction to flow. Which means more flow to the pool, which is a good thing. Smaller plumbing means higher pressure and lower flow to the pool which is a bad thing.

Waterman said:
Bama Rambler said:
There's a lot more we need to know before we can answer that question properly.

Is this an aboveground or inground pool?
What is your location?
What model is the pump?

Semi inground
northeast. Long island
Haywood pump 1 hp. 60gpm. Not sure of model could check in mornin if that important

Thankyou for the help

sorrytook so long to get back.
The pump is a Hayward power flo LX. Model # sp1580icnp. 1 hp 60 gpm. Hope that helps and the plumbing at the pump is 1 1/2" will 2" work properly ?? Thankyou

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.