My Baqua to Chlorine Conversion Adventure...

At this point it would really really help to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Assuming that you raised the FC level to somewhere around 15 last night after sunset and the FC level this morning was 3-5, you lost around 10 overnight. If that is all correct, then you have a couple more days to go. Given that you are not losing all of your chlorine overnight it becomes more efficient to only add chlorine in the evenings. You can still add chlorine during the day, and that will speed things up a little, but you will use more total chlorine that way as most of the chlorine will now be lost to sunlight.

Well, this morning's levels have left me scratching my head a bit. I figured I'd do the OCLT, but the numbers aren't adding up - I know where I've gone wrong though: Rather than testing the FC levels last night, I assumed they'd be 15, because they were at 1 and I added the right amount of bleach according to the Pool Calculator. I shouldn't have assumed; I should have tested - we're talking SCIENCE here! :) The FC level this morning is 24! The CC is 1.5.

Because I've been using the Pool Calculator all along, I assumed I'd put in the right amount of bleach to bring the FC to 15 - the calculator has to be correct, it's precise math. Because it couldn't be the calculator's fault, that led me to look at other variables, and the one that stood out for me to check is my pool volume. The fine folks at the pool store told me my volume was 26,500 gallons when I had the pool installed, and that's what I've always gone by - HOWEVER, the Pool Calculator tells me that a 30-ft. round, 4 ft. deep pool should be...I don't know, because I'm getting a permission error when I try to access it. But science tells me that the volume should be about 21,200 gallons. So, I've been adding more than needed all along. Thanks, pool store. To be fair, I guess they calculated the volume based on the height of the pool walls (which are 54 inches), not the actual depth of the water. Why they'd do that, I don't know, because a pool is never filled all the way to the top...

So, I'll try to access the Pool Calculator again later, and compare my pool volume to what it says, and go from there. Won't need to add bleach this morning! :-D

THANKS!! It's getting there - performed the OCLT (correctly this time) last night - at 10:15p, the FC was 18, CC 1. This morning at 8:15am, the FC is 14.5 and the CC is 1. So, not quite there, but not losing a ton of FC overnight either. I'm home all day today, so I'll be able to continually test and bring back to shock level.

Here's the next headache: I have to leave tomorrow morning, and I'll be gone 9 days. The best plan I can come up with is to get trichlor pucks and a floating dispenser and let that float around the pool while I'm gone - it will keep the chlorine level up, and will also add CYA, which I need anyway. Am I way off base with this idea? :?

If anyone has any input for my trichlor puck idea (see above), I would sincerely appreciate your feedback - I'm leaving at 7am, planning to throw trichlor pucks in a floater to get the pool through the next 9 days while I'm gone. Not an ideal situation at this point in the conversion, but it's out of my control. I figure the trichlor will provide steady chlorine (even if not at shock level), and will add cya, which I need anyway. *crossing my fingers* : )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got back late last night after being away 9 days - checked the levels this morning - FC 0.5, CC 0.5 (both were probably less than that - the water was barely noticeably pink), and the CYA is 0. BUT, the water is sparkly clear! Wooo hoooo! :-D

Performing the OCLT tonight - levels now are:
FC 6.5
CC <0.5
TA 60
CH 110
Ph 7.5
CYA 0

I'll see how the FC and CC are in the morning, then worry about bumping up TA, CH, and CYA. Not sure I even want to bother with bumping up the CH, since it's a vinyl pool?

Bump up the FC levels to 15 and then do the OCLT. Make 110% sure all the baqua is gone before letting the levels slip. There's no need not to get this far and leave any baquacil anywhere.

My 2cents worth.....

OH boy...I need some guidance please...I needed to add cya, so I added CYA granules, "dissolved" in water. As you can guess, I now have UNDISSOLVED cya granules all over the bottom of the pool. I've since consulted Pool School and now know I should have put the cya in a sock in the skimmer. Another "d'oh" moment.

What do I do now? Is is safe to swim in the pool with the granules all over the bottom? OH man.

Brush or vacuum them up. They can cause damage to the liner. You're fine to swim...but still clean up the mess.

What was the results of the OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.