So much for waiting 2 years to update - 24 ft Matrix install

tick221

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2011
So last summer we decided to get a Intex to see if a pool was for us, I found this great website and learned that with a little daily attention pool ownership is really quite easy (thanks Jason and everyone else). The "plan" was to use the intex for 2 years and then think about updating to a larger more permanent pool. So here we are not even one year into ownership of the Intex and I just ordered a 24 ft Sharkline Matrix. :party:

So this is what we have been enjoying for almost the last year
c30f9582.jpg

I have been waiting for our neighborhood jack of all trades to come by and dig out the yard, we are in the mountains and the amount of rocks I hit when I leveled the Intex had me worried enough to wait on ordering until the excavation was done. He showed up yesterday and put in 3 hours and then another hour today finishing up. As you can see from the pics below there was a small amount of dirt to haul away, six loads total. From my low point to the back was was over two and a half feet :shock: , He did hit some big rocks but nothing that the loader couldn't handle. Four hours work and 6 trucks full of dirt, sod, and rock hauled away for $300, best money I've spend in a long time. I will have some more leveling to do but he was able to get me within a couple of inches.

Getting ready!!
585692c4.jpg

How low do we go!!
369ab591.jpg

Getting there
332910c1.jpg

Tapered the ledges away today
986e688b.jpg

So tomorrow I go buy a nice long 2x6 and start leveling, again. I will be updating and posting pics over the next few weeks as the new pool comes together. After the pool goes in then the deck starts this fall, boy I know how to have fun :-D

Big thanks again to everyone associated with this site, it is truly a phenomenal resource and has helped me so much

Re: So much for waiting 2 years to update

Woke up this morning to a shipping email already from poolsupplyworld, pool, filter, liner protector have shipped.

Incredible considering I ordered at 5pm yesterday

I hesitate to post this update because this step in the pool installation process causes more aggravation than anything else. So to those who are leveling or will be leveling I'm sorry.

So this morning I went out and bought my 2x6x16 and trimmed it down to 13ft. Duck tapped the level to it and carried it around back to see how much blood, sweat, and back aches I would have this week getting the site level. My lovely wife helped as we checked and double checked the grade. I'm speechless and doing such a happy dance right now, every reading we took around the site was within Bubble, some need some fine tuning but without even starting I'm 90% done with grading and leveling :-D

Once again sorry, not trying to gloat at all just very happy. The Intex destroyed me last summer, I did the leveling all by hand and it took 2 hard weeks to get it to where the new site it at now.

I'll be out in the yard for the next hour doing the happy dance looking like the idiot I am :party:

harleysilo said:
Sound like the jack of all trades did a great job!

Yeah he is definitely on the Christmas card list this year :lol:

The wife and I went out for a couple of hours today to clean up all the loose dirt and try and get all the clods and rocks out of the grass which will need to be mowed soon. It was very nice to still have the Intex up and running, nothing beats a swim after working in the dirt with 90 degree temps.

Got a few more things ordered today, mainly 8 lbs of stabilizer, the Waternut to bond the water, jug of muriatic acid, and the new solar cover.

I need to make a list, I keep forgetting everything I need

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have my excavator on hold atm. He is charging me $400 to do my yard. The highest point is 4 1/2 ft. Yeah... I'm waiting to get the 250lb retaining blocks at the house before I start. :shock:

I'll be saving the dirt and filling in the low side of the yard. I want the pool site to settle for the winter. :goodjob:

Casey said:
I have my excavator on hold atm. He is charging me $400 to do my yard. The highest point is 4 1/2 ft. Yeah... I'm waiting to get the 250lb retaining blocks at the house before I start. :shock:

I'll be saving the dirt and filling in the low side of the yard. I want the pool site to settle for the winter. :goodjob:

4 1/2 ft!!!!!! Holy Moly that's going to be a lot of dirt, I'd love to see some pics once you get started.

MikeInNH said:
A small track hoe and a competent operator...money well spent. Much quicker than a shovel. Looking forward to more pics.

I was putting in a pad for a library once. The operating engineer doing the rough grade would have us shoot a level and he would mark it with a ribbon on the antenna of his car. He would then use a little telescopic level he held up to his eye. He got that roughly 1/4 acre pad to within a inch of level using just a D7 dozer.

-dave

Looks like the pool will be here by the end of the week(still waiting on shipping for the liner and foam cove). Anyone have a ball park on how much sand I should order for a 24 ft?

Area of a circle is pi*r-squared. So area of a 24' circle is ~ 108 sqft, call it 110. How deep do you want the sand base? Assuming 3", that is 1/4 of 1 foot, so multiply 110x.25 and you get 27.5, or 1 cubic yard. The cove would be 24'x3.14= 75 linear feet. Assuming the cove is a triangle 6" high by 6" wide, then the area of the triangle is 18" square. That equals ~.13 square feet ( a square foot is 144 inches square) so multiply that .13x75 linear feet and you get 10 cubic feet, or just over 1/3 yard. I would order 2 yards, you probably can't get 1.5 yards delivered. Or double the order and the extra can be a sand pile for the kids to play in. :lol:

Feel free to check my math.

As my wife will testify when I decide to do a project I get really gungho and get really aggravated waiting for parts and supplies to arrive. I'm absolutely blown away by Poolsupplyworld and intheswim. I ordered my pool Sunday around 5pm from PSW and the solar cover from intheswim at around 6pm. I got shipping notification from PSW at 8am Monday morning!!! I just got the call from the freight company asking if it would be OK to deliver tomorrow, I said yes :). So tomorrow I get the pool and my masons sand delivered, looks like I'm putting in pavers tomorrow night :).

Cliff notes -

PoolSupplyWorld rocks, pool shipped within 13 hours and delivered in 4 days.
IntheSwin - rocks, 24ft solar cover ordered and delivered in 4 days for $68 shipped

Glock said:
Do you need a winter cover? I have one I was about to send back to h2opoolproducts. I got it thinking I was getting a 24' round but ended up with an 18x34. If your interested I will sell it for 75 shipped. Its a 15yr cover. New in box, never even been opened.

This is it.
http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/king-win ... -6455.html

Thanks for the offer Glock, but the wife is starting to give me "that" look and I think I need to slow down on the purchases :lol: . I'll wait a few months before ordering the closing accessories.

Hope your three weeks goes by fast

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.