Dead algae?

Bobswe

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2012
Cinnaminson NJ
Some times when I shock for 3-4 days after I get what looks like a black dirt on the bottom of my pool that seems like dust if it were dry. It dissipates with even the slightest water movement. Do others ever have this issue? Could that actually be dead algae? My cc at one point was 6 and now it's 2.5. Not shocking everyday due to aa treatment 10 days ago. Dropped in 2 1/2 gallons of liquid chlorine And that's when it does it. Going to shock again tomorrow night. Pool clear and no staining, but with sand filter it doesn't easily hold this black "dust" for lack of a better word. In the past I always worried it was a broken line til I figured out ur was only when I schocked.

I think I've got the same stuff in my pool. Does your's seem to lump together in spots or does it basically cover the bottom totally? I can brush like you said and it dissipates instantly and will stay suspended if the pump is NOT RUNNING, but as soon as I turn the pump on it settles to the bottom. Does your's do this?

Yes, exactly that. Settles in divots in liner. Some bigger than others. Does urs do after shocking or find it happens at other times? Can be frustrating to vacuum and see perfect clear water until u turn filter back on. Definately settles in ruts and divots.

Also has anyone figured out how to get rid of it faster. I do vacuum to waste periodically but think it happens for a few days because of dying algae. Just theorys here because it always disappears after several days. I'm just looking for someone to tell me what they think it is, my guess is dead algae.

Bobswe,

It sure sounds like dead algae and it sure sounds like you are not shocking your pool properly....you still have cc's of 2.5? Then you never finished the process. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School, follow that article perfectly and that "drop out" of dead algae will no longer occur.

RTR,

I think you have the same issue. To an extent, I can only guess because there are no test results and what we do here on the forum begins and ends with test results.

The one test result bobswe posts is a dead giveaway for the need to shock the pool.

Sorry guys, here are tf100 test results
Fc .5
Cc 2
Ph 6.8
Cya 40
Ta 80
I did read how to shock but too early too follow those instructions because of aa treatment. I have successfully lowered cc to 2. I'm going to put in some borax to raise ph but should I raise ta first? Trust me when I tell u I'd love to shock tge heck out of this pool but being patient due to aa treatment and clean liner. (other than the algae fallout?)

First raise the pH to about 7.2. If you will use bleach/liquid chlorine, you can leave the TA at 80 and be just fine.

If you are going to keep using those pucks, you need TA 100 to 120.

I suggest (again) that you use bleach/liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.