Krystal Clear SWG keeps reading low salt

imcj

May 18, 2010
I think I know why it keeps reading the "low salt" even though I am about 3000 salt level...it's because that white corrosion looking stuff keeps building up on the cell. I clean it and it works again, but only for a day or two. This is getting tiresome. Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening so frequently? Thanks so much.

I got the same problem. Already added 80# of salt and still get the low salt error. Also my water becomes kind of cloudy. When I test the pH the "square" turns pink. But pink is not on the scale. Is that mean that the pH is too high?

Well, I've got a problem with my CYA. I've never had it go down. It has always remained the same throughout the summer. Anyway, here are the test results:

Temp 76
ph 7.2 (it is usually 7.6, but I dropped it yesterday with MA because it was up to 7.8)
FC 5
CC 0
TA 90
CH 70
CYA 50
salt 6500 I know, this is crazy high, but I don't think it's true. It's with the strips and I've read that you can't always depend on these. What can I do to get a more accurate reading? A pool store isn't an option. I live in a rural area and the closest pool store that I know of is 2 1/2 hours away.

FYI, I don't believe the CH either. We have very high calcium levels here. Just so you know I have the TF-100 test kit.

I know I need to get this under control, but from what I see the water is safe for swimmers, right? Thank you guys, you have always been such a great help!

Set up new Intex Krystal Clear 1600 GPH Model 56677EG, added salt as directed by manual. Keep getting low salt alarm. Added an additional 40lbs of salt and still get the alarm. This has been pretty much the same for the past week. Have read other posts that said they have a bad system. any sugestions?

Clean the plates with kitchen grade vinegar. Got exactly same problem as you are and that fix it. But make sure your pH is leveled otherwise you will need to clean these plates every couple days.

I have been draining the pool down today assuming the salt content is too high even though I can't believe the strip gave me a true reading. I'll start adding fresh water in the morning and go from there. Suggestions to do first? I figured I'd get the salt to the right point first, then move to the FC reading, then PH.

Readings post re-fill. I drained the pool to almost halfway down and I refilled this afternoon. This is what I get:
FC .5
CC 0
TA 90
CH 490
CYA 0
Salt 4830
ph 7.6

If these numbers are accurate, then I need to drain more to get the salt level down (using Aquachek strips). Do I need to run the pump before I get accurate readings, or do you think these are pretty accurate?

imcj said:
If these numbers are accurate, then I need to drain more to get the salt level down (using Aquachek strips). Do I need to run the pump before I get accurate readings, or do you think these are pretty accurate?
Yes, you need to run the pump so the old water is thoroughly mixed with the new water. How much water did you replace? Also, how old are your test strips? They only seem to last so long. I had to replace mine this year because they were way off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I drained the pool a little less than 50%. I got the test strips about May when I ordered the replacement for my TF-100.

Great Canadian, no, you're not missing anything. I guess I shouldn't say 0, but as I filled up the tube, I still clearly saw the black dot at the bottom. I cannot 100% say CYA is 0, but I didn't know what else to call it. Good point though. Thanks for calling me on it...it may not be 0.

I know to use vinegar with the SWG, but I saw a half-and-half pool water and MA combo to use too. Is that better/okay?

FYI, even after draining water, salt level was much lower but still reading about 4500. I drained more yesterday and refilled, so we'll see.

I am still getting the day to every other day error of "low salt", so SWG is not running every time. Very frustrating and I don't know what to do. I have to keep adding bleach. Yesterday I did a test and the water didn't turn pink at all, so I added almost a whole bottle of bleach. Today reading is 7.5 still.

imcj said:
I know to use vinegar with the SWG, but I saw a half-and-half pool water and MA combo to use too. Is that better/okay?
I would use vinegar since that is what intex says to use..then you won't violate your warranty.

If you have build up and between the plates, then you will read low salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.