Start Capacitor Failures A Tech Mystery?

pauljahn

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 4, 2011
I have put two brand new 2-speed 1 HP Hayward Maxflo II pumps on my 18x36 inground Hayward EC-75 vinyl linerpool this year. I have had no water chemistry problems the pool is crystal clear 7.4PH, 30ppm cya, 110 total alkilinity and has no other issues. The first pump was installed with timer control and a single pole double throw switch to select speeds. The start capacitor failed over night while running on high speed when the pump was about two weeks old. My dealer accepted it for return and gave me the second pump. It worked succesfully for about three weeks and while the pump was set to high overnight it too had a failed starter capacitor. My dealer has said he will replace this pump also but I am getting a little paranoid. Any thoughts on the quality of this pump?

The wiring shows no corrosion or pitting (as though connections were loose). My dealer has said it was probably a bad lot of capacitors.

Should I upgrade to a variable speed living in Cincinnati? (4 month season)

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

Paul

I agree that it was probably a bad batch of capacitors. BTW, is that an AO Smith motor on that pump?

As for going with a VS, for your size pool and $.10/kwh, it would take about 45 months (11 years) of operation to pay for the pump cost difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.