Newly installed skimmer leaking!

jbeal9

Jun 14, 2012
I just installed a through the wall, wide mouth skimmer (Hydro Tools 8939G) on my 26' x 52" Intex pool. I haven't cut the vinyl for the opening yet because I have quite a few leaks around the face plate assembly. Installed in this order beginning with water side: Face plate, gasket, liner, gasket, housing assembly. I've tightened every screw as tightly as I can, still several trickles. Did i do something wrong or do I need to do something differently? :roll:

It is possible (and common) that you have overtightened your screws and temporarily distorted the plastic enough to cause leaks. You could loosen them and then slowly move around re-tightening a small turn at a time and observe if your leaking stops. It that doesn't work, some people use a good water contacting silicone caulk.

Oddly enough, over the past couple days, the leaks have mostly resolved themselves. Still a couple tiny trickles but not nearly as bad. I guess the gaskets have expanded or conformed enough to seal most of the screw holes. I will probably wait until it's time to winterize, then go ahead and add silicon if i feel it's needed. Thanks everyone for your input!

I installed the exact same skimmer on my Intex, After going around several times each time tightening a bit more I had no leaks on the part that actually connects to the pool. I did continue to have a small drip type leak in one corner where the basket box attached to the skimmer body for about 2 weeks after the intial install. It started out filling a 2QT measuring cup every 24 hours and slowly went down until I have seen not a drop in the last 5 days. I assume that it just takes awhile sometime for everything to go through the expansion/contraction/swelling phase. I did get in the pool 2 or 3 times during this period and tighten the screw in that corner each time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.