Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What makes TA go up? I only add acid to my pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

What makes TA go up? I only add acid to my pool.

I understand how to get rid of TA, I've read the great posts by Chem_Geek on the whole "soda pop" analogy, but what makes my pool TA increase?

I closed it at ~80ppm TA and opened it at ~140ppm. During the winter I continued to add acid to maintain a 7.6-7.8 PH.

I'm in the process of running the spa (great aeration) and keeping the PH beween 7.0 and 7.2 and the TA is now dropping. I seem to go from 7.0 - 7.2 PH in ~3 hours.

So back to my original question. What makes my TA go up? Maybe I can capture the process and sell it to "fix" flat soda

Not sure if it matters, but my pool is ~10 years old.

thanks,
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

2. Back To Top    #2
    It is unusual for TA to go up on it's own unless the pool is new. Sometimes blown in dust can increase TA, but that is rare. There are some chemical interactions with plaster that can raise the TA, but really only when the plaster is less than a year old.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Normally, only the addition of TA in fill water (say, after evaporation) would make the TA rise or the explicit addition of something like baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or washing soda (sodium carbonate). If you measured your CYA dropping over the winter, then the breakdown of CYA from soil bacteria (that found their way into the pool) could account for a rise in TA (but we'll see below). The breakdown of CYA is shown here and proceeds as follows:

CYA + 2H2O --> Biuret + H+ + HCO3-
    Biuret + H2O --> Allophanate- + NH3 + H+
    Allophanate- + H+ + H2O --> 2NH3 + 2CO2

so the net result is:

CYA + 4H2O --> H+ + HCO3- + 3NH3 + 2CO2

The above degradation of Cyanuric Acid effectively adds carbonic acid as well as ammonia and carbon dioxide to the water both of which would lower the pH with no change in TA. If the carbon dioxide outgassed, the pH would rise with no change in TA.

So you have a mystery. Was there any other difference between the closing and opening numbers?

Richard
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Here are my numbers:
    15-Sep 22-Sep 7-Oct 14-Oct 27-Oct 25-Nov 19-Jan 6-Apr 9-Apr
    F/C 5 5 4.5 6 2.5 2.5 6.5 1.5 12
    CC 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    TC 5 5 4.5 6 2.5 2.5 6.5 1.5 12
    pH 7.6 7.8 7.8 7.7 7.8 ~8.0 ~8.0 8.2+ 7.5
    T/A 80 90 90 90 100 130 140 160 140
    CH 600 - 650 650 650 - - 640 -
    CYA 60 - 60 - - - - 55 -

Hopefully that is readable.

I do get a TON of leave and other organic matter in my pool in the fall and spring time. Could that be causing this? I've now added ~2 gallons of acid 1 quart at a time an have gotten my TA down to ~110 (this AM when I tested). I would like to not have to do this every year

thanks for you help,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok that is ugly, so I put it in the PDF.

thanks,

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you've got me stumped. Maybe the leaves and other organic material have something or decompose into something that raises the TA, but that sounds pretty strange to me.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh, thats not good. Maybe that pool cover will help even more that just to keep the leaves out of the pool.

thanks,

8. Back To Top    #8
    Fill water is my problem. I would check yours to see if it is high in TA.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

9. Back To Top    #9

During the summer, that would make sense, but I assumed that the pool was covered for the winter and that the water was unheated and cold which should have minimized it's evaporation. My own pool also rises in TA over time, but slowly, and some of this is due to evaporation and refill from the automatic fill line since the fill water has a TA of 80 and just gets added to the pool. However, I have a pool cover that is on most of the time so this minimizes this effect (but over a season, it's still measurable).

Richard

10. Back To Top    #10

This did happen over the off season and I don't add water to the pool then, just rain water. I will check my fill water. I have checked it for CH, but not TA. My fill water comes from the houses water softner. Not sure it that makes a difference for TA, I know it does for CH.

thanks

11. Back To Top    #11
    Water softeners have no effect on TA.

12. Back To Top    #12

My house water has a TA of 210.

Looks like I'll be constantly fighting my TA to keep it low enough to support my high CH.

I don't remember ever adding fill water during the winter, but I do at least know why my TA increases during the summer.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    I don't remember ever adding fill water during the winter, but I do at least know why my TA increases during the summer.
    You might have a very slow leak. That would explain having more fill water introduced, even over the winter.

14. Back To Top    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    My house water has a TA of 210.

Looks like I'll be constantly fighting my TA to keep it low enough to support my high CH.

I'm in a similar situation. I have very high TA, PH and CH fill water so by the end of the summer, the CH is well over 600 ppm. I refill every February since that is when the fill water is lower in CH (surface water).

The high TA fill water makes it nearly impossible for me to keep TA below 90 (except for the winter). So with a SWG, PH is constantly rising which led me to this solution. Now I fill the tank once every two weeks with acid and water which helps keep the PH below 7.7 so I don't worry too much about scaling.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater