Disposing old pool chemicals

Mar 13, 2010
Hello,
I have some old bags of sodium bicarbonate that are hard as bricks, I'd like to get rid of them( not in the pool), but how do I safely dispose of these?
I also have cal-hypo that needs to go, do I bring this stuff bAck to the pool store to have them dispose of it?

Thank you for your time.

Sodium bicarbonate is harmless and can be disposed of in the trash or by dissolving and pouring down the sink.

Cal-hypo is very flammable and is best used in the pool. If that isn't practical, dissolve in a bucket of water, leave out in the sun all day, and then pour down the drain.

Thank you, everyone. I didn't think about putting the bicarbonate in the fridge :-D
I'm up in NJ, we do occasionally have those Hazardous Waste drop off days here, I'll just keep my eyes open for them.
Thank you all agsin! Great site! :)

Staying on topic regarding disposing of old pool chemicals what is the recommended way to get rid of old chlor-tabs? I also have a half bucket of powdered dry chlorine now caked and all of it unusable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.