Clarifier, or Floc?

Neither would be my first choice. I would first determine that there is no algae present which can, and usually does, cause cloudiness.

Once you determine the organics (algae) are killed, I would then run the filter 24/7 'til the water cleared.

Have you recently cleaned up your pool that was heretofore green? Does your pool hold FC overnight without dropping more than .5 or 1ppm?

The flocculant or clarifier will not help unless you know for a fact there are no remaining organics.

As Duraleigh said, 1st make sure your numbers look good and you have no algae. After it is determined that you have no algae and your numbers are good, I would go with the clarifier. I had this problem a couple years ago, the dead particles were to small to be filtered through my filter and made for a cloudy pool, I used the clarifier and in no time it was totally clear, Good luck.

I am holding overnight, and actually not losing alot during the day, 1.5 PPM max during the day, and holding overnight.
I did recently clean, but it is very much dead algae, it could not possibly have survived being at shock level for 4 days, could it?

I think I mightl use clarifier, although I DID go out and get one of those filter bags, and it is catching alot of gunk. I can almost see a difference already.

First, nice work on the algae kill. That's not as easy as it sounds.

Secondly, floc or clarifier may well speed up the clearing but I'll bet if you keep that pump running 24/7 your filter and the filter bags will do the same thing......perhaps take a bit longer.

no, algae killing is not easy. It took e about 4 days, and unknown amounts of bleach, monitoring the FC, and TC every 30 minutes or so, backwashing, backwashing, backwashing and more backwashing.
I decided to wait and see if the filter bags/pump do it quick enough, too cold to swim now anyway!

I also swiped the new filter bag off DH's new saw....a miter saw, and it works as well, if not better than the filter bag for pools. Yeah, he isn't going to be happy, but oh well.

edbson said:
no, algae killing is not easy. It took e about 4 days, and unknown amounts of bleach, monitoring the FC, and TC every 30 minutes or so, backwashing, backwashing, backwashing and more backwashing.
I decided to wait and see if the filter bags/pump do it quick enough, too cold to swim now anyway!

I also swiped the new filter bag off DH's new saw....a miter saw, and it works as well, if not better than the filter bag for pools. Yeah, he isn't going to be happy, but oh well.
Oh, you evil woman!

Hi edbson- I use a flocculant called Cleansweep that I get at Lowe's when I need to clean up dead algae or just the winter's crud that the filter has trouble with. It costs about $10.00, and it's liquid, so it's easy to use. I just mix it in a pail of water and throw it out over the water, leave the filter on for two hours, and cut it off and let it sit for a day. Then I vacuum to waste (VERY slowly), and voila, clear water! I usually turn the pump off for another several hours after the first vacuuming, and then vacuum again. Yes, time consuming, but a much quicker fix than just waiting for the filter to do all the work. Good luck to you!

The AquaEZ Clean Sweep product is shown here. A similar product, that's more expensive but some people swear by it, is OMNI Liquid Floc Plus. Clarifiers and flocculants are not needed if one has a working filter, maintains shock chlorine levels, and has patience, but these products can make the process of clearing a pool go a little faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.