New construction in Dallas TX

arvven

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2012
Just signed the contract yesterday :) I have been a stalker on this site for weeks and I am super excited about getting started. We spent a month getting bids and researching, but here is what we settled on:

~37k free form gunite with Prism Quartz
6/8 raised spa with moss rock spill way
tanning ledge with bubbler
3.5-8.5 with diving board,
Equipment is Pentair (mostly), SWG
Easy Touch with Remote
IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump w/freeze protect
?IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator
?DelZone Ozone Generator
Nature II Express
Clean & Clear Cartridge Filter 520 sq ft
Legend Platinum Cleaner with Booster
1.5 hp Blower
400K BTU Heater
26-28' Weaping wall with 4 small waterfalls
Hand Seeded Aggregate decking (matches what we already have...lol)

I will include the 3d drawing.

Step 1 for us is to move the sod. We have St. Augustine (in Texas heat I know!, but I love it..lol). We would like to move this good sod to the back before construction begins. Probably do that in the next couple of weeks.

Attachments

• Pool_003.jpg
    Pool_003.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 2,729
I would lose the ozone and Nature 2. Wasted money, IMHO. One can raise your chlorine demand while the other adds silver and copper, slow killers that can (unlikely with this product but) cause staining.

N2's marketing claims you can run at 1/2 the chlorine. There are plenty of things not killed by them and running the chlorine at 1/2 the level slows its kill time of everything. This alarms me. It should alarm you too.

Ozone systems need service and ergo, money, your money.

Scott

Wow, that look like a fantastic pool.

One regret we have is not building a larger hot tub. If you have kids, they will spend a lot of time in it, and they will want to jump into it. I'd build a 10' spa, and maybe deeper, if I were to do it again.

St. Augustine is a PITA. In Austin, the water rations basically killed most of our 0.5 acre yard of it. I'm going to rip it up and go with something that requires less water to stay healthy.

Thanks for the feedback! I think the Nature II came as part of a package set, I could ask them to take it out, but I'm not gonna save much money from it. I like the research I have done so far on the ozone though. Not that it will replace any other part of the pool care.

My husband will agree about the St. Augustine...lol. I think we are gonna have bermuda seed sprayed around the perimeter of the pool. Too much Sun and the St. Augustine takes too long to grow. It's gonna be 100+ all week, not looking forward to moving the sod :(

Got the lines marked today. The man is not a fan of the St. Augustine, so I think I will just let them tear it out. We will probably spray Bermuda when the pool is complete. Also, it's been 100+ all week and we are dying down here..lol

Question: The path through the yard for construction trucks etc go over the gas/elec lines. Any input/experience on this? I surely don't want a problem.

I am gonna try and post as much as I can think of for future reference. Just thought of a couple more things:

1) p-trap is required by city
2) city requires a door alarm/door spring paper to be notarized BEFORE they approve the contractor plans.
3) We are asking the builder to move the pool 6' over b/c it's not centered with the back of the yard.
4) We also asked for a 60" step out on the deep end, due to comments on this forum (yay!).
5) I did "double time" research on this forum for the ozone, and since we have at least a 20' line from the system to the pool the ozone will have more time to work on the water. I know it's not recommended and I sure hope I have good things to say after it's built.
6) I did more research on DE vs Cartridge, and I seem more ok with Cartridge based on the following observations from this forum and YouTube...
6a) DE requires buying more bags of stuff
6b) DE requires adding the de to the skimmer between backwashes
6c) backwashes drain extra water from your pool
6d) after the backwashes gunk up your filters (and pressure goes higher) you need to service the DE filter or become a good DIY to do this yourself. This is the same step as Cartridge anyway.
6e) For our layout the builder will have to drill all through the front yard with hundred of dollars to get to the sewer line.
6f) Cartridge is sized well for our pool
6g) The step for DE to clean filter are similar to the steps to clean the Cartridge filter (minus the backwashing and DE powder additions).

So based on those factors we are currently in favor of keeping the Cartridge, any thoughts?

Getting sooooo ready for something to happen! I can't wait! :party:

oh my goodness, the wait is killing me. Does it always take this long at first? We are thinking city approval pool closing will be this week and hopefully something starts next week. :(

Still waiting, but we are seeing the light. We think the permit stuff etc will finish up next week. Know what the irony is, I will probably be on business travel when the pool breaks ground :roll:

I will beg the fam to get pics for me and of course I will share :)

In the meantime, here's some pics of the starting point..

Attachments

• Photo_6F469F0E-D6C6-B72E-5D8A-FECA16AB24DE.jpg
    Photo_6F469F0E-D6C6-B72E-5D8A-FECA16AB24DE.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 2,247
  • Photo_9DA7AFDF-914B-50BA-A9FC-ED236002C04A.jpg
    Photo_9DA7AFDF-914B-50BA-A9FC-ED236002C04A.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 2,246
  • Screen Shot 2012-07-12 at 10.49.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-12 at 10.49.51 PM.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 2,250

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
arvven said:
I am gonna try and post as much as I can think of for future reference. Just thought of a couple more things:

1) p-trap is required by city
2) city requires a door alarm/door spring paper to be notarized BEFORE they approve the contractor plans.
3) We are asking the builder to move the pool 6' over b/c it's not centered with the back of the yard.
4) We also asked for a 60" step out on the deep end, due to comments on this forum (yay!).
5) I did "double time" research on this forum for the ozone, and since we have at least a 20' line from the system to the pool the ozone will have more time to work on the water. I know it's not recommended and I sure hope I have good things to say after it's built.
6) I did more research on DE vs Cartridge, and I seem more ok with Cartridge based on the following observations from this forum and YouTube...
6a) DE requires buying more bags of stuff
6b) DE requires adding the de to the skimmer between backwashes
6c) backwashes drain extra water from your pool
6d) after the backwashes gunk up your filters (and pressure goes higher) you need to service the DE filter or become a good DIY to do this yourself. This is the same step as Cartridge anyway.
6e) For our layout the builder will have to drill all through the front yard with hundred of dollars to get to the sewer line.
6f) Cartridge is sized well for our pool
6g) The step for DE to clean filter are similar to the steps to clean the Cartridge filter (minus the backwashing and DE powder additions).

So based on those factors we are currently in favor of keeping the Cartridge, any thoughts?

Getting sooooo ready for something to happen! I can't wait! :party:

Stick with the cartridge, period. Unless it's too late; use AquaPerl as the alternative media for your DE Filter.

OK, SOME progress..The city approvals are in and we are ready to go..ironically? The lines need to be remarked before they will let the big trucks in...lol

Confirmed today that I can't cancel my travel for work next week..I am going to hang some teenagers if they don't send me pics :)

arvven said:
OK, SOME progress..The city approvals are in and we are ready to go..ironically? The lines need to be remarked before they will let the big trucks in...lol

Confirmed today that I can't cancel my travel for work next week..I am going to hang some teenagers if they don't send me pics :)

I’m amazed how 2 city’s so close to together can have such different requirements building a pool.

I bleed red dirt as a born and raised Texan, but I have never liked the hurdles the city of Dallas makes their residents jump over for some of the most simplistic task.

Again, I’m looking forward to your progress pictures because your design is absolutely beautiful.

Thank you Karmann!! I talked to the builder today and they said they are working to schedule the excavation next week with their contractor. *sigh* I can't wait!! OK, well I can, I want it done correctly..lol

arvven said:
DelZone Ozone Generator
Nature II Express
Definitely consider dumping both of these. The ozone is practically useless in a residential pool. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/maintaining-fc-with-ozonator-t43923.html#p358992

The nature II express uses cartridges that are expensive and it adds copper and silver to your pool which is not needed if the pool is properly chlorinated. Copper in high enough concentrations can turn blond hair green and stain pool surfaces. You will still need chlorine with it.

See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

I asked about a couple of changes to the pool. I am getting the impression from here on out its gonna cost ALOT to make changes.. Warning to other buyers, get all of it on the paper before the contract is signed..lol

If they haven't started digging yet it should just be an adjustment IMO. We added things like more decking or full seat in the spa and our builder just charged us for the extra materials.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.