Austin, TX Builders

Hi, we are interviewing pool builders and getting bids for NW Austin. Even though this thread states it is for builder reviews, it seems most people are shy about giving any. Nonetheless, we would appreciate any positive (or negative) recommendations on builders in the area. We have spoken with or had neighbors use Starwood, Austex, Anthony Sylvan, Ocean Quest, Texas Pool and Patio and Cody.

Other big issues we are looking for feedback on (lots of conflicting advice so far) are (1) SWG vs Chlorine (almost all builders telling us NOT to get SWG), (2) Pebble Sheen vs. Diamond Brite: durability, texture are key concerns, and (3) deck material: flagstone (limestone) vs stamped concrete, concerned about how hot each will get in Austin summer.

Thanks for any feedback!

I am in the same boat as you and would love to hear what people have to say. We are currently building our house in NW Austin (Well it's actually Leander). Figured we would try and start looking for a builder once the move is done in Sept. I know people say to build the pool at the same time as the house, but I got enough with wrapping my head around finishing the house. Don't want to deal with spending more money just yet :)

We live just west of Austin in Lakeway and built our pool 5 years ago. We went with a SWG system and haven't had any problems. That being said, we were careful in our choice of materials -- it's my understanding that salt water is tough on some of the common local materials like limestone. We ended up with a great pool but I wouldn't recommend our pool builder (a small outfit not on your list). Shoot me a private message if you want details.

We have Pebble Tech and it's great but a little rough. We would have chosen Pebble Sheen but we had some areas that were sometimes above the water line, so had to go with the coarser Pebble Tech.

For decking we have stamped concrete. It gets a little warm but we have a decent amount of shade starting at 4pm. As mentioned above, one of our concerns was the salt water damaging the limestone or other type of flagstone.

I had pretty good luck with Pool Pro in Austin. I documented the build pretty well, look at my sig.

Chris (owner) was very fair with changes, adjustments, etc. The crew he has is very experienced.

Most builders will shy you away from Salt. We talked to 3 (Cody, Liquid Assets, and Pool Pro) and all 3 flat out said they would not warranty a salt water pool in Austin.

Have fun and good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.