Drain water that's only about 1' deep...

csj80

Jun 24, 2012
Montgomery, AL
Hello, I am new here and recently moved into a house that has an above ground pool. Well the pool is 5' deep but the water level is only about 1' deep. The water is pretty nasty as well, couple of dead frogs and what looks like a squirrel carcass. My question I guess is how do I drain the little bit of remaining water? I have never had a pool and don't know much about them but I would like to empty this one, clean it and refill and try my hand at pool care. Thanks for any information/help offered!

No, its easy to do with a couple of friends. If you want a pool and that one is already level, take advantage of it. The leveling is the hard part. A new liner will cost you a couple hundred. Providing there is not a huge amount of rust and the skimmer, pump, and filter are all in good shape, you have an excellent pool on your hands. Once you get the old liner out take pics and post them up. There are people here who can tell you what needs to be done after that based on the pics.

It might be a good idea to measure the distance to the water in there now to see how level it is. If its the same all the way around +/- 1-2" you should be good to go.

I agree with the sump pump to empty it but use the leaf rake to get the "big chunks" out first. they will come out easier that way. Then drain and remove the old liner. A new liner will give it new life. :) It looks alot like my old pool. Any idea what the diameter of it is?

By the way, welcome to TFP! :)

Thanks for all the info/help so far. The diameter is 24' and depth is 4'. I was reading a bit about above ground liners and saw there are 3 different types. I will have to do a lot more reading. Do you have a suggested site for buying new liners? Thanks again!

One more question(for now anyways) How do I tell if the sand in the sand filter needs chaning?

If you going to replace liner then using a sump pump is a waste..Just dig out a little at bottom of pool&make a trinch&take a knife&cut a hole in it &let it drain..Just make sure you drain from a point where it doesn't back up in the pool area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My neighbor alway's take's a power washer & clean's her pool out every year.I tried to talk to her about it but she swear's on it..Each it's on..Good Luck..Hope can save the liner.But, then you maybe better to go ahead & change it out..You never know it could have a hole in it.Hate to fill'r up with water then it spring's a leak.Good luck

That liner looks pretty bad in the pic but it might not look as bad in person. I am a fix it before it breaks kinda person and would replace the liner for the new look but that is your call of course. I am not a good judge of the condition of the liner because I have not owned one long enough to make that call. However, if you chose to replace, here are a few links:

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupp ... liners.htm

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Liners/

http://www.h2opoolproducts.com/above-gr ... -5_82.html

There are some people here who are in the industry who might respond with better deals too. I have personal experience with H2o above and can say it was a great experience. Either way, good luck and we require lots of pics in order to maximize our enjoyment. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.