25sqft cartridge filter can't keep up with cleaning my pool.

Jul 22, 2011
I have a 15' x 4' pool that got swamped last year. I have been running it filter-free for the most part lately just to keep the water circulating with chlorine tabs and shock, to begin the clearing process. Otherwise, the filter clogs within hours, and flow comes to a standstill.

Is this setup just too small for the pool I have? I'm thinking it's an extremely cheap filter/pump that was part of my combo deal just to get a pool sold at a low cost, and that I may benefit from something better. Estimated 5300 gallons.

Any input? Thank you.

P1140606.JPG

Re: 25sqft cartridge filter can't keep up with cleaning my p

It is very likely a combination of a filter that's way too small and an organic load (algae) in your pool that's way too big. If you can ever get the water cleaned up, the filter can probably handle keeping it clean but I think it is just being overwhelmed by the amount of work you need for it to do.

I believe that you're right.

Last year, it kept the water clean until I was out of town and a stick jammed the impeller. Then the pool went to heck and I wasn't able to keep up with it. It got swamped because I simply had too much going on to give it any attention.

Now this year I'm trying to get it together, but can't the filter to stay unclogged.

OK I just looked outside, clogged again. I put a clean filter in at 9pm last night. GRRRR.

I don't know what I need. How much money would I be looking at to get an adequate pump/sand filter/saltwater generator? Particular model numbers?

You pump is probably fine, but post your model number (pump not just motor) or take a picture of it's label and post it.

For your pool (assuming the 4' is the water depth and not he wall depth), a ~ 80 sq. ft. cartridge, or a 2 sq. ft sand filter would be our minimum recommendations.

linen said:
You pump is probably fine, but post your model number (pump not just motor) or take a picture of it's label and post it.

For your pool (assuming the 4' is the water depth and not he wall depth), a ~ 80 sq. ft. cartridge, or a 2 sq. ft sand filter would be our minimum recommendations.
Good question, I should go measure. I don't know if 4' is the wall height or the water height. Either way, I am under-filtered? I got home from work and of course water was at a standstill again. Swapped filters, 20 minutes, clogged. Hosed, swapped. Went out a couple hours later (now) to get the pics, of course, clogged again. I'm never going to get it clean at this rate.

I have not see that low power pump before (1/8 hp, 1725 rpm 1 speed). Does it move much water? Can you vacuum effectively with it?

It is not undersized for that filter, but the filter is undersized for the pool. I would not get a sand filter for use with that pump, you will not be able to backwash correctly and might have too much head loss in the valve. Your best choice is probably a larger cartridge as I mentioned before.

The upside to the pump is it is very efficient/low power.

Have you considered using a skimmer sock?

That would take a big load off the other filter and be quicker and easier to get out and clean.

Even the cheap knee high nylons will capture even very small particles, and they are very easy to rinse out, just turn them inside out and hose off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.