Pool Pilot-Can't Adjust Purifier %

Jun 23, 2012
Hello,

I have a Pool Pilot DG-220. I just installed a new cell and I'm trying desperately to keep the water balanced so this one won't have to be cleaned monthly--lots of calcium in my water. Just recently had my water tested and it showed too much chlorine--suggested decreasing the Purifier % from 100 to 80. I cannot figure out how to do this! I've tried using the up/down arrows-nothing. It's not a feature in the control panel either. How do I adjust down to 80%?

Also, I have an SC-60 cell. What else can I do (besides keeping balanced) to keep the calcium from building up on it? Are there some settings in the control panel that will help me?

Thanks for your help!

If you use the arrows do you see the purifier percentage go down? If so, once you get to 80 press the select button to save that value.

It's also possible the temperature compensation feature is altering the percentage. Is your water temp really high?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! It's Arizona in the middle of the day, so I can't tell what the temperature reading of the pool is--I'll have to wait until it gets dark to see the display. I cannot adjust the arrows manually--will not let me use the down arrow to adjust the purifier--it stays at 100%.

Definitely not in boost mode....everything else works fine with the Control Panel--just can't use the up/down arrows to adjust the %. Am I missing something? Does it need to be held down for 15 seconds before it will decrease/increase? I've tried it with the purifier running and off--neither makes a difference.

Any ideas on my other question:
I have an SC-60 cell. What else can I do (besides keeping balanced) to keep the calcium from building up on it? Are there some settings in the control panel that will help me?

I've read about that. I just installed this cell last month and haven't had to clean it yet. The last cell needed to be cleaned monthly. How often do you think is too much? To what would I shorten the cell reverse time to? How would I do that?

Temp: 85
CYA: 50
TC: 5
FC: 5
PH: 7.8
Original TA: 180
Adjusted TA: 165
Total Hardness: 500
Salt Level: 3700

They recommended 6 cups of Muratic Acid--3 today and 3 tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

The combination of high CH, high TA, and the high end of normal PH mean that you are very close to scaling conditions in the pool and well into scaling inside the SWG.

The solution is to lower some combination of CH, TA, and PH. How easy that is depends somewhat on your fill water TA and CH levels and how often you need to top off the pool to replace evaporation. If both are high in your fill water it can prove fairly annoying. CH is the most difficult to lower, so the obvious place to focus is on PH and TA.

I recommend lowering TA to around 60 to 70. That may take a little while, but unless your fill water TA is high and you add more water frequently is is quite practical. There are complete instructions in Pool School. Briefly, it means lowering PH to 7.2 and then aerating the water to bring the PH back up, over and over again until TA is down to something reasonable. Then entire process can easily take weeks, but you can get off to a good start fairly quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay. I got it. I read the Pool School instructions and everything makes complete sense. I have a large waterfall, so aeration should be easy. My only questions are, how often do I test the PH during this process? Should I test and add the acid every evening, 2x a day, 3x? How long each day would you suggest I run the waterfall to aerate? It's exciting to finally get some answers and a possible solution to my problems.

How often is difficult to predict in advance, best to discover by experimenting. Try it and see how quickly the PH goes up. If it goes up really quickly, then you may need multiple times a day. Most people can go two or three days between lowering PH, but there is no telling.

Back to your inability to change the %.... how old is your system? It seems like there may be some dirt/dust that got to the buttons. You can remove the top cover, then access the control circuit board. There are 4 screws holding it to the top cover. Remove the circuit board off the cover and see if you're able to press the buttons up and down properly.
Also, check the plastic posts that the screws attach to. If they are broken, it's possible for the circuit board to be pushing away from the cover enough to move the board away every time you press the buttons.
Regarding calcium hardness, as a cell starts to wear out, you may see a softer white build up on the cell, but as Jason pointed out, your water chemistry is, and will be scale forming, due to the increasing calcium hardness levels. You will need to either drain some water to lower the calcium hardness, or keep on top of your pH and TA levels to keep them lower.

Thanks so much for all of your help! You were dead on with the dust in the buttons. I was able to successfully adjust to 80%. After just two days of following Jason's suggestions, I have decreased the TA from 165 to 123. Sounds nerdy, but very exciting for me!

I love this forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.