My pool needs help!!

Jun 23, 2012
My gunite swimming pool has a couple serious issues. It is kidney shaped, 43' x 24' and has an 8' deep end (the deep end is 16' wide and the low end widens to 24'.

1. There is serious crack that runs through the top 8" tile. The crack runs between the skimmers about 20'-24' and the tile is falling off. I was told it was a beam crack.
2 There is another crack about 2" below the coupling. It is about 3-4 and the tile is falling off.
3. It seems as though the coupling is lifting in various points around the pool.
4 One of the skimmers pulled away from the pool wall by about 1/4" and caused a leak that washed out the brick patio in an area.

When we bought the house 10 years ago the pool had not had water in it in 15 years, so it was in bad repair. So we hired what we thought was a reputable pool company to bring it back to life. Well his work was very poor and I'm sure is the cause for these issues.

I live on Long Island (Suffolk County) and there doesn't seem to be a lot of gunite pool people around. So far, I've called 5 pool companies to get estimates on the repairs and only 3 showed up! The estimates range from $14,000, $21,000 and $25,000. They all recommended re-dusting the pool since it was done 10 years ago, but the finish is still okay. I kind of agree, that I may as well do it with the rest of the work. There are no other cracks in the pool except those mentioned above.

Can beam crack be permanently repaired or will this happen again in the next bad winder?
Are these prices normal or inline?
All of the pool guys want to redo the plaster and they want to use the old marble dust plaster. None used quartz, but 2 said that they used pebble Tec, but they both wanted $7000 more to install. Is that inline? Is pebble-tec twice the price of plain old plaster? What's the issue with Quartz, why won't anyone use it?
What pool finish do you folks recommend?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Cracks all the way through the beam can be fantastically expensive to repair, but repair is possible (and less expensive than a new pool).

Pebble Tec is way more expensive, it also lasts longer. Quartz finishes can work well but they have a higher than normal complaint rate, it is difficult to get a uniform look out of quartz, so some builders stay away from them. The best finish for you is mostly a cost vs appearance issue, both personal decisions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.