New IG pool owner, looking for plumbing best practices?

I have just purchased a home with a irregular shaped pool. We actually don't close until this friday so I have not yet removed the cover to really see what I am dealing with. The property has been vacant for almost a year and I was told by neighbors that the pool did not run for at least a year prior to that. I do not have an estimate for volume but once I know the depth I will attempt to cad it out and get a somewhat accurate volume. This is the the pool to show its basic shape.

IMAG0302.jpg

IMAG0303.jpg

Once I relocate the tadpoles and frogs and get the tarp (cover) off I will post more pics so we know were working with.

My current question has to do with plumbing. The plumbing platform is just wood slats and is very rotted. I was considering pouring a pad but am open to ideas. What I confused about is exactly the best way to plumb in the equipment. There is a sand filter but no pump. I was able to find a used one,(only one season) along with a sand filter in much better condition than what is there. These are what I picked up:
IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0312.jpg

IMAG0313.jpg

IMAG0314.jpg

Next post I'll show existing plumbing.

So this is the plumbing I am working with. It appears to be one inlet to the pump, (no main drain maybe? there is a skimmer). There is two outlets and there also seems to be a loop with a 3 way valve to bypass the filter. I'm not sure why that is needed? The valves on the chlorinator all seem to function so I am going to reuse that. I plan to cut the plumbing off maybe 6 inches above the ground and re-plumb on a more suitable pad. The 3 way valve also seems to function well and could be reused. I am new at pools but want to get the plumbing configuration right first so I would be very open to any and all thoughts on how to best set it up.

The existing pad:
IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0301.jpg

IMAG0300.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

My kids and I thank all those who trouble themselves enough to help me out :cheers:

-Matt McKenna, pool newb!

Can't help you with the plumbing, but I'd put a garden hose in and get a gravity-fed suction going to get some of the water off the cover. (if you have enough slope to get the siphon started...) A garden hose will very slowly drain the cover, water your grass, and make it easier to get down to business when you get your equipment figured. Unless you think there is something other than dirt and leaves in the water......

Also take some time with your kids to set up some (boring!) rules. We had a long-standing rule that kids are out of the water unless a grown up is parked nearby, sunglasses on and cold beer in hand. I never wavered on that, and altho my waistline probably suffered, (my housework definitely did!) we didn't have any accidents. I was most worried about them falling onto the cover. I showed them a piece of saran on a pot of water, how a marble would get tangled and sink. They gave the solar blanket and the winter cover more respect after that. Cheers and happy swimming!

Post some pix once the cover is off!

Im not crazy about those sections of clear flexible hose clamped on there. Some may be ok with it but I think it looks sloppy and is a prime spot to develop a blowout (and you know this would happen when nobody is home and end up running your pump dry and wrecking it).
And yes I would definitely do as you said: cut that stuff off and pour a pad and get your equipment up off the soggy dirt.

applgrl said:
Can't help you with the plumbing, but I'd put a garden hose in and get a gravity-fed suction going to get some of the water off the cover. (if you have enough slope to get the siphon started...) A garden hose will very slowly drain the cover, water your grass, and make it easier to get down to business when you get your equipment figured. Unless you think there is something other than dirt and leaves in the water......

Also take some time with your kids to set up some (boring!) rules. We had a long-standing rule that kids are out of the water unless a grown up is parked nearby, sunglasses on and cold beer in hand. I never wavered on that, and altho my waistline probably suffered, (my housework definitely did!) we didn't have any accidents. I was most worried about them falling onto the cover. I showed them a piece of saran on a pot of water, how a marble would get tangled and sink. They gave the solar blanket and the winter cover more respect after that. Cheers and happy swimming!

Post some pix once the cover is off!

Thanks for your thoughts. There will definitely need to be some rules and that builds on one of my other projects, enclosing the pool area better.

-Matt

tjwaggoner said:
Im not crazy about those sections of clear flexible hose clamped on there. Some may be ok with it but I think it looks sloppy and is a prime spot to develop a blowout (and you know this would happen when nobody is home and end up running your pump dry and wrecking it).
And yes I would definitely do as you said: cut that stuff off and pour a pad and get your equipment up off the soggy dirt.

I agree that the clear flex is junk. The new equipment has barbed fittings on everything so is there a flex line that is recommended or should I just remove the barbed fittings and go with hard plumbing and couplers?

-Matt

Take the time to measure and install glued PVC. If you find a place and think "I could put a union here" Do it. Unions save so much hassle down the road and arent a big deal to install when your already cutting and cementing PVC. Definitely put a union on the suction and discharge side of your pump, upstream and downstream of your SWCG obviously, and I also put on on the common return line so I can break the discharge side of the pump loose and the common return and yank the filter out if need be. Which came in handy because the installer changed the sand right after getting the pool set up. Although I was working when the guy came by to tie my backflush into my underground downspout drain piping and didnt install a union there so Ill have to cut on in eventually. Ive rambled enough but you get the idea, take the time to lay out your plumbing well and make the extra trip to lowes if you have to to get the right fittings to make it work without cobbling in hose clamps and flex hose.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, if you dont have water features, spas, solar roof panels and such there isnt much reason for over complicating things with too many bypasses and the like. You will find that PVC is very easy to work with once you make up the first couple joints. Just remember that once you stick it, its stuck.

So I have done a fair amount of reading on this site in the last day and determined that I don't know the first thing about pool chemistry. Lucky for me this site has it all laid out pretty well. This makes life a little easier in terms of the plumbing because I am not going to bother reinstalling the chlorinator. I also just ordered a TF100XL test kit. Apparently this site is already rubbing off on me.

-Matt

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.