Running filter on a timer?

twiser

May 31, 2012
NJ
From the spec of my very basic Krystal Clear Model 603 filter pump which came with 12'x36" 2k gallon pool, it pumps at a rate of about 500 g/h, so I will need at least 4 hours for a full cycle. Would that be a recommend daily run of the filter or maybe add some margin to run it close to 5-6 hr a day?

To automate this process, I decided to use a regular heavy duty outdoor electric timer, but quickly realized it won't work with this 603 filter pump. The pump's electric plug has Reset and Test buttons. Reset has to be pushed (red indicator on) for a filter pump to run, and once a timer turn power off - Reset gets triggered.

How do you guys control your filters? Has anybody done it automatically or do you run it manually? If you do use a timer, which one can you recommend so it wouldn't trigger filter's reset?

Thanks!

twiser said:
Reset has to be pushed (red indicator on) for a filter pump to run, and once a timer turn power off - Reset gets triggered.
Is this something you tested and saw happen? The test and reset are GFCI components that is built into the cord end. I have never seen one of these trip off when turned off on a timer

twiser said:
How do you guys control your filters? Has anybody done it automatically or do you run it manually? If you do use a timer, which one can you recommend so it wouldn't trigger filter's reset?

Thanks!
I don't recall what brand mine is but it is rated for outdoor use and has a FLA (Full Load Amps)capacity of 15 amps. It is a simple plug-in unit and works great

The timer I got is 15amp heavy duty outdoor by GE (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... reId=10051). Correct, Test/Rest are GFCI components built into the chord. And it exactly how I discovered it, the Reset was tripping once I connect timer to the filter, and only worked once I switched timer to bypass mode (not depending on on/off dip switches). Very strange, right? Nothing tripped on my power outlet itself, still works fine. It was very consistent. Do you have Intex filter as well? BTW, my power outlet on the side of the house is not GFCI (doesn't have test/reset), but it works OK once filter plugged in directly through extension chord.

It sounds as if something's not right on the timer. It shouldn't make a difference in bypass mode or not.
You could also use a short (2') pigtail to connect to the timer so you don't have interference from the shape of the filter GFCI.

I am having the same problem. I have the filter hooked up to a 50' extensioin cord and a GFI in the garage. The GFI in the garage doesn't trip but the one on the filter cord must be reset each time. I am going to cut off the GFI on the filter cord and replace with a plug end.

I'm having the exact same issue. (I also have the same timer as twiser) Anytime power is removed from the filter, the gfci trips. Will be modifying the cord instead and relying on the gfci outlet.

Was going through a warranty process, but intex computer system went down just as he was going to file my claim. Said call back after 20 min in the queue and another 10 convincing him it shouldn't work that way.
Try calling back... "Due to high call volume, we can not take your call. Call back later." (same as when I tried Friday afternoon ) BS... Intex support seems terrible.

Most of the people I talked to are having the same problem. GFCI on filter connector trips because timer in off state interrupts the ground. I just wish Intex would just provide a filter with a regular plug. Will try to call them tomorrow as well.

twiser said:
Most of the people I talked to are having the same problem. GFCI on filter connector trips because timer in off state interrupts the ground. I just wish Intex would just provide a filter with a regular plug. Will try to call them tomorrow as well.
The ground has nothing to do with the function of a GFCI. In fact a GFCI will work perfectly fine without one hooked up. A timer will never interupt a ground path when off. It would never pass UL listing. NEC code does not allow for the ground path to ever be switched.

Either unplugging the extension chord or timer off, that's the same line interrupt, ground or whatever (ground fault interrupter - the whole point of it).

@danpik: can you look up please the exact brand and model of your timer? I am not doubting you, but you seem to be the only one with a working confirmed setup. Perhaps you are using indoor rather than outdoor timer which functions differently?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is probably the extension cord that is causing the problem. The pump motor is Inductive and when you switch it off it makes a large voltage spike. The extension cord must be making it worse. I bet the guy who doesn't have a problem is not using an extension cord.

I have one of these plugs on an electric power washer. Reset the thing everytime you plug it in.

Any time you have an internally protected GFCI appliance plugged into a GFCI recepticle, you'll have inconsistencies. One GFCI might be more sensitive than the other, causing issues.

Replace the plug on the pump, and plug into a GFCI recepticle.

I'm replacing the plug on mine tonight. Note, you don't have to cut it off. Unscrew the 4 screws and it opens up and you can remove the cord without cutting. Should be able to assemble it right into a new 3 prong plug.

It might be proper behavior for an inline GFCI like that, but if its working as designed it was a terrible design for something that's meant to be run periodically under timer control.

JasonLion said:
Your Intex GFI is broken. It should not trip when you unplug the power.

I agree, but given the ease of changing the plug vs even getting through to Intex -- never mind the chance of getting a good one given the apparent failure rate -- I'm fixing it myself

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

JasonLion said:
Your Intex GFI is broken. It should not trip when you unplug the power.

If that's a case, which quite possibly could be, between people at my work and here at the forum we got 6 defective plugs :( I probably shouldn't be complaining considering how much this pool cost brand new and came bundled with a filter and a ladder, but still a bummer. I guess will have to replace the plug myself. Plus, now we have a post on this forum documenting a problem for any future site visitors :)

Is anyone having the problem and is not using an extension cord? I am an electrical engineer and I do believe the extension cord could be the problem. I am going to cut off the GFI tonight and replace with a plug.

1380ken said:
Is anyone having the problem and is not using an extension cord? I am an electrical engineer and I do believe the extension cord could be the problem. I am going to cut off the GFI tonight and replace with a plug.

maybe you're not being literal, but DON'T CUT IT. Disassemble it first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.