Question about unplugging copper cell on Intex SWG

May 13, 2012
Montgomery, AL
For those of you that unplugged the copper cell on your Intex SWG.... How much longer did you set your SWG to run to make up for the copper not being added to the water? I've got mine set to run 3 hours, but when I check my FC is usually around 2 or less so I'm guessing it's not running long enough. My CYA is at 70.

Thanks!

My understanding of the copper production on the intex is that it only energizes the copper electrode when the boost function is selected....so, unless you ran the boost cycle, you may not have had any copper added.

Yeah, I sort of knew that (about needing to run longer since the FC is low), but didn't phrase my question very well. :)
So here's what I'm trying to ask:...
The Intex manual had a recommendation of running the SWG 2 to 3 hours and it assumes the copper bars are still being used. TFP recommends an FC level of 3 to 5. So I'm curious how to know how long to run the SWG so that my FC stays at the correct level. Should I just keep increasing it and testing it everyday until I hit the sweet spot? (That would be the most obvious answer.)

Just hoping that someone that has been there, done that can give me some insight and save me some time.

Thanks for all your help thus far! We have really been enjoying our pool and thanks to you guys I've really learned tons about how to take care of it.

I would raise your FC level to the middle of your range (3-5 ppm FC) and not make your intex do it. It is good at maintaining but not so good at raising. Then I would suggest a target on time of 4 hours, to be run during the day. Then as you said, adjust up and down from there. Basically before the intex runs each day you do not want to be below 3 ppm.

The issue with running at night is that is not when the pool is using most of it's chlorine. The problem with the intex swg however is that they say it must be turned off when swimmers are swimming. Some intex users do run at night so to not conflict with swimming schedules. In that case you need to make sure the swg runs long enough at night that the FC level does not drop below the minimum FC level for your cya level during the day.

The Intex SWG is not certified as safe while swimmers are in the pool because either the design is flawed or Intex didn't bother with the certifications - they cost money to get. That being said, I think any danger is minimal so long as a) everything is properly bonded (including the water) and b) the SWG is plugged into a properly grounded GFCI. We swam all last summer with an Intex SWG that ran while we were swimming. The first I heard of this was reading a different thread 5 minutes before writing this post. Plus, the SWG does have some power to it even when it is not active, because it is in sleep mode. So to be perfectly safe you'd have to unplug it each time you swam. At least the Intex one I have that means reprogramming it each time it is unplugged.

My manual doesn't say anything about not swimming while the SWG is running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.