Ideas anyone?

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
This is how I have put the cedar over the edge of the pool, I have been looking for something to give it a softer edge, other then half rounding the wood at the top, its routed at the bottom 1/2 inch to make it rest on both parts of the metal coping.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rik

Attachments

• Wood Over Pool3.jpg
    Wood Over Pool3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 377
  • logo1.jpg
    logo1.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 12
  • logo2.jpg
    logo2.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 12
When you say softer, are you talking appearance or to keep people from knocking their knees/ splinters. Either way, I have a suggestion...
Check out some of the Marine stores (WestMarine.com , Overtons.com) and look at the boat bumper section. They tend to have some smaller size rails that might satisfy what you are looking for. Good luck.

pooladdict said:
This is how I have put the cedar over the edge of the pool, I have been looking for something to give it a softer edge, other then half rounding the wood at the top, its routed at the bottom 1/2 inch to make it rest on both parts of the metal coping.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rik

Rik,

Do you know what bullnose trim is? It's essentially a trim piece, usually about 5/8 wide and is a 1/2 circle. I would consider installing (screwing) that to the face of the cedar.

I haven't worked with cedar much but I know it splits easily....it may be difficult to router that top edge...especially since it's end-grain. If you can't come up with a suitable nosing, I think I'd take a belt sander to it and round off the top edge.....That's slow and certainly doesn't look machine-made when you get done but it would be a big improvement over the look and functionality you have now.

Thanks guys, one of the reason I am so gratefull that Sean opened up this site, have been watching another forum , but it was close to new users.

I can router the top edge, its quite hard wood and easily routers, I am looking for something to sort of tidy up the edge, I know I can get it soft enough to stay away from Splinters and such.

That Marine stuff might do the trick.

Again thanks alot.

Rik

There is a resin based bullnose that would work wonders on this problem. It is waterproof, flexible and does not split or cause splinters. It is paintable or stainable. I have used it in both commercial and residental applications, inside and outside, in both curved and flat applications. I know it comes in various sizes from 3/4in to 3 inches. When I get home and out to my shop, I will look up who makes it.

TPG

Check RONA, Home Depot (although I hate recommending THEM), Home hardware building centers.
There are many new products available out there usually made from resin or a resin/sawdust mix, that replicate wood colors (stains) or grey cedar decking (natural) but without the weathering characteristics of wood. Ohterwise, you'll likely be putting on something like a boat bumper (white) likely with an aluminum channel for it to sit in.

The other alternative is to take the same wood your deck is made with, cut a board in half down the length, router the edges, sand smooth and scew on edge to the boards that overhang the pool - you can still incur slivers but it will be quite clean in comparison to what you currently have.
If the boards don't bend enough, you can pre soak them for a number of days either in your pool or in a length of capped and filled eavestrough. (the cheapest way I've found outside of the allready available pool.)

Thanks Matt

I was thinking the same thing with some strips of wood, I used to make SnowShoes that way. Its tough to find stuff down east, but I really like the idea of putting on some acrylic or resin based trim that will adhere to the wood. I have hand sealed all my screw holes (3800+) with an epoxy resin. I tried those darn blasted deksters and after 4 hours to apply 5 boards, almost threw them in the deep end. The sealed holes are stainable as long as one doesnt let the epoxy set for more then 48 hours.

Wish we had a Rona down here

Rik

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.