Hayward Skimmer install on Intex Ultra - Gasket Question

eras2r

Jun 1, 2012
I will be installing a Hayward thru-wall skimmer on a 18'x48" Intex Ultraframe today. I have a question on gasket placement for this install. The gasket is a double gasket with a cavity in between each side of the gasket. According to the instructions, the complete gasket is to be installed outside of the pool which would then be:
Water -- Faceplate -- Liner -- Double Gasket -- Skimmer Housing

Instructions say to mount everything, then cut the liner after the skimmer is installed.

I have read on here that others have placed the liner in between the 2 gasket sides which would be:
Water -- Faceplate -- Single Gasket -- Liner -- Single Gasket -- Skimmer Housing

In order to do this I would need to cut the liner before installing the skimmer. And I'd need to make the outline of the cut with the gasket and than cut 1/8" inside that line to compensate for the inside edge of the gasket that bonds the 2 gaskets and make sure the liner is flush all the way around.

Question: Which is the proper way to install this skimmer? I know that "proper" is being used sparingly as these skimmers are not made for Intex pools. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

I installed method 2 (Water -- Faceplate -- Single Gasket -- Liner -- Single Gasket -- Skimmer Housing) on my metal frame pool, and all is well.

You just need to account for the, slots in the gasket, when you measure and cut.

Since the pool is going up today, I will install this when there is about 2' of water in the pool. With that in mind, will the water pressure from filling the pool stretch the liner around the gasket cutout? I just want to make sure that I do not cut out too much liner on the brand new pool :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.