Leaking Heater stops when heater is running

jonmar

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
I noticed a few weeks ago that my heater was dripping water from the bottom on the side the pipes come in to it. When the heater is operating, the leak stops, which tells me this is from something expanding and plugging the leak or that the leaking water is simply evaporating on a hot surface. I tend to suspect the first possibility since the leak returns quite awhile after the heater shuts off. Is this typical of a bad heat exchanger or likely something else?

Heater turned off around noon yesterday. No leak all day up until at least 11 pm when I went to bed. Back this morning. Of course my biggest fear is a heat exchanger. Once they start leaking, is it constant or could the operation of the heater halt the leak?

Pool company came by and says that the heat exchanger needs to be replaced. They don't know if its a warranty issue or a water chemistry issue. How do they tell the difference? Do they just prey on the fact that no one keeps the results of their water tests? I think I do an above average job keeping things in check. There must be millions of people doing a worse job than I do. Are they all ruining their heat exchanger? I have a friend that uses the strips and doesn't add anything until the water gets cloudy. He has never replaced a heat exchanger.

Any suggestions? 3 year old hayward H 250.

The most common reason for heat exchanger failures is water chemistry. Usually a pro can tell (he's seen it a million times).

That said, there can also be a failure where the heat exchanger mates to the header (a warranty issue, however I don't know about a three year old Hayward heater).

Last thing to be aware of: modern heaters with all copper heat exchangers use substantially less material than heaters even ten years old; leaving them substantially more vulnerable to chemical and erosion damage.

Qwaxalot said:
The most common reason for heat exchanger failures is water chemistry. Usually a pro can tell (he's seen it a million times).

That said, there can also be a failure where the heat exchanger mates to the header (a warranty issue, however I don't know about a three year old Hayward heater).

Last thing to be aware of: modern heaters with all copper heat exchangers use substantially less material than heaters even ten years old; leaving them substantially more vulnerable to chemical and erosion damage.

The heater hasn't leaked in three days. Any time the heater runs, it stops the leak for over 12 hours. It will not return if the heater is run a few hours every day. If we don't use the heater, the leak returns. If there is a hole in the heat exchanger wouldn't it leak continuously?

I had nothing but issues with my Hayward Heater.... After the first summer heat exchanger, fixed under warranty. Beginning of second summer another issue. Not under warranty now. Issues with Hayward. Per Hayward Rep"you should not run your water thru the heater except when you are heating it??" Well I live in Illinois I heat it frequently. I thought buying a new heater I would have no problems... This has been a headache every year. I try my best to keep my water perfect. I get it checked at the pool store frequently. Nobody told me about chemicals damaging the heater in the beginning. Now it looks like it is leaking again! I have and in ground pool 15x33--heaters are expensive--Guess I will not look at Hayward!

dianerichf said:
I had nothing but issues with my Hayward Heater.... After the first summer heat exchanger, fixed under warranty. Beginning of second summer another issue. Not under warranty now. Issues with Hayward. Per Hayward Rep"you should not run your water thru the heater except when you are heating it??" Well I live in Illinois I heat it frequently. I thought buying a new heater I would have no problems... This has been a headache every year. I try my best to keep my water perfect. I get it checked at the pool store frequently. Nobody told me about chemicals damaging the heater in the beginning. Now it looks like it is leaking again! I have and in ground pool 15x33--heaters are expensive--Guess I will not look at Hayward!

Today is the first day that my heater has been leaking while the heater is running. It also takes several attempts to stay lit.

If they do not warranty it you can get the part for that heater online for $700 and its a pretty simple fix. I did it myself at the beginning of the season. A lot cheaper than a new heater.... The part from the pool store was $1200.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.