Mint Hill, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
My father-in-law has not yet moved in to his house. I'm maintaining the pool. He is there most days but has not yet learned anything about the equipment etc. My plan (already in progress) is to crank up to nearly mustard shock levels (23.5 ppm) since I was already shocking and not have him worry other than skimmer net and basket. I will be back Monday night. Losses most days run around 6pp
When used and less when not used (as expected this weekend). That should keep it shocked for a couple days and drift down to normal range around the time I can look it over again.

Does this seem reasonable?
Fc:23.5
Cc:0.5
Ph:8 (7.5 before high chlorine so this is assumed false reading)
TA: 175
Ch: 350
Cya: 40

UnderWaterVanya:

I take it that you dosed with chlorine Friday night (6/22) and I'm assuming you do not have a cover. If that's the case, then your approach should work based on your expected daily FC loss. I would test FC level on Monday night before adding any chlorine to determine what the actual FC loss was during the three days. Then you can fine-tune your chlorine addition. It is always best to use the amount of chlorine you need to maintain proper sanitation without needlessly overdosing. If FC loss is less than 6 ppm (based on no pool usage), you could likely go with a lower dosage than mustard shock level if you need to go another 3 days between checking. I would not go above mustard shock level in any event.

If you do have a cover, the consensus I have seen on this forum is that dosing up to regular shock level and keeping the pool covered is usually good for a week with no further attention.

I have a similar situation coming up ... 7 days away.

My plan was to have my daughter add bleach daily ..... and give her a simple chart to determine how much based on amount of sunlight / clouds each day and how much of the day she has the solar cover on.

So for example a cloudy day when the cover stays on all day i will have her add enough to add 1 ppm ..... on a day with full sun with the cover off i will have her add enough to add 3 ppm which is my maximum loss per day. I plan on starting 2 or 3 ppm below shock level when i leave.

I would imagine the same thing could be arranged with a willing neighbor .... especially if the cover were left on because no one was using the pool.

Not trying to hijack your thread but this was my idea and i figured i would see if it might work ... for you or just in general??

Or in my case my CYA is in the low 30's .... would a week with 3 pucks raise it much??

BoDarville said:
UnderWaterVanya:

I take it that you dosed with chlorine Friday night (6/22) and I'm assuming you do not have a cover. If that's the case, then your approach should work based on your expected daily FC loss. I would test FC level on Monday night before adding any chlorine to determine what the actual FC loss was during the three days. Then you can fine-tune your chlorine addition. It is always best to use the amount of chlorine you need to maintain proper sanitation without needlessly overdosing. If FC loss is less than 6 ppm (based on no pool usage), you could likely go with a lower dosage than mustard shock level if you need to go another 3 days between checking. I would not go above mustard shock level in any event.

If you do have a cover, the consensus I have seen on this forum is that dosing up to regular shock level and keeping the pool covered is usually good for a week with no further attention.

I've tried to confine myself to my original thread located here: cloudy-but-i-think-i-m-on-the-right-track-newbie-t47425.html

Essentially, yes I did as you thought. I was gone an extra day and had him dump 96oz of 6% bleach on Monday night blind because I was not able to be there until Tuesday evening. Tuesday evening I returned to FC of around 3-4ppm which was lower than I was expecting. Story since then is in the other thread. I'm still not sure I'm fully done shocking and thinking of doing another OCLT to be sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.