Well, here is my question

I struggled with the same decision. It makes pretty good sense but I called a couple of PB's in my area and neither of them ever did it so I followed them.

My filter functions just fine but I still wonder. The triton paperwork says its optional.

The large commercial filters almost always use pea gravel. Supposedly you get slightly better flow without any loss of filtering. Pea gravel is also cheaper than sand. I have never tried it myself since I don't replace the sand.

One of the advantages I could see to doing that is that the pea gravel would surround the lateral fins and keep sand from infiltrating into your pool in the event that a crack were to occur somehow. I don't imagine that it would affect filtering at all. I sort of like the sounds of it, and if I were to do it again I would probably do it, especially since I do get what appears to be sand on the bottom of my pool after the return line. I am not positive though, I vacuum and it goes away. It is not really that big of a bother to me, but if it gets worse I may just have to shop vac out the filter and see what is up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.