Timer Advice

Mwjman1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2012
I have a Hayward Voyager Cartridge filter with a 2 hp motor and integrated timer. The timer stopped working last season and I never knew how much I would miss it - kind of chuckled when I found out it had a timer built in, I had never seen one on a pool pump.

The replacement is about $60 shipped to my door, but is it just going to break again? Am I better off investing in a more robust timer?

With limited time, it is nice to know the the filter is running long enough to clean, but not long enough to waste valuable resources. When I purchased he pool, I was told I did not need a two speed pump - if I had one I would probably just let it run 24x7 and would not need a timer for such a small pool...which with any luck should show up in the sig.

Any advice?

Thanks-

When you say Intermatic Mechanical timer, are you referring to the truly mechanical, or electronic versions? They seem to make both... Is there a specific model? Like the T 101 P3?

Thank you for the feedback.

Ive had an Intermatic electronic timer for the past 9 seasons. Still works great (but to be honest its been housed in the shed nearby my pool equipment, so out of the weather but using the right enclosure it would probably be fine as well).

Only reason i took it down is to have my AutoPilot run my pump. Going to keep the Intermatic just in case, or find a reason to use it anyway because its always been that reliable.

EDIT: model P1103ME (on this page: http://www.poolandspacontrols.com/produ ... nisms.aspx) is about the same as the one I have.

I use a mechanical timer on my pool pump, and I've been using an electronic timer on my waterheater for a couple years now. I wouldn't mind swapping out the mechanical for that waterheater electronic one. BYW - both of these are the Intermatic ones.

The only caveat I would put on the mechanical one is that it is best to let it keep running all year round, even if you are not using your pool. Otherwise, it might freeze/rust in place.

Just a quick update: I went with the T101P3 Intermatic. I toyed with the idea of making it 'portable' so I could isolate the timer from the pump if needed using heavy duty twist locks, but opted instead to hardwire and follow code. The cost of the plugs, cord and potential failure points and SAFETY just did not seem worth the risk.

I am not sure I like the plastic case, opted for this version due to folks complaining about the metal version rusting - just does not seem very durable. The good news: since it is commercial grade, I can swap out just the case if needed.

With any luck, right around 8:00am CST, NWI will either experience a brown out, or my pump will be running!

I opted for extra triggers, so I can run it for a bit in the AM, take a breather, and kick back on again in the afternoon giving about 8 hours of runtime.

We'll see how it goes.

Thank you all for the advice.

Mwjman1 said:
With any luck, right around 8:00am CST, NWI will either experience a brown out, or my pump will be running!

:-D

Thats how I feel sometimes when I add stuff. For instance when I fired up the circuit after adding my AutoPilot. Control panel is in my shed, turned on breaker and had wife watch to see if the shed was on fire :) (but i do have confidence in what I'm doing, Lord knows I've done enough of it.....just part of being a home-moaner)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, on the phone with Nipsco trying to explain to them that the source was not in my backyard. :shock:

Just kidding, Works flawless... :party:

Cycled twice today, as set and I am happy, no more worrying if the pump ran or worrying about shutting it off at night - I can watch it from the window.

Project 2 - now just waiting for Liquidator to arrive so I can remove my CYA generator (Hayward Chlorinator) and corresponding hair and nail color changer (Nature2)...but that is another post.

Learned the hard way how to lower CYA, with our expensive water rates...but funny, the pool store never bothered to tell the customer that the very chlorine they recommended was driving it right back up. :grrrr:

Anyone looking for a 1 year old Hayward Chlorinator (1 season) or a Nature2 vessel? I hear they are very popular at the local range...

BBBeliever. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.