Leveling - help

May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We've been trying to level our ground now for 2 weeks.. We are in AZ so the 110 degree isn't helping us finish fast. We put the pavers in and they are all leveled around to each other. We have wet the ground and placed a board on it and started walking back and forth on it to compact it. Only thing that still scares me is if I step right next to the paver the ground sinks in a bit still. So if it gets wet.. I'm guessing it might all sink together again. . I don't know what else to do.

Attachments

• 2012-06-22 07.04.08.jpg
    2012-06-22 07.04.08.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 2012-06-22 07.04.41.jpg
    2012-06-22 07.04.41.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 324
No dirty added and didn't dig down. We have been watering the groud and stepping on it so it can compact. The inside part is hard like a rock.. but the outer part isnt. Hubby is done with the pool. Trying to find an easy solution because I won't have a pool come past Sunday. He will not help anymore.

Is it only squishing when it's wet? If so, you should be okay. I would think since you did not add soil there, it most likely will work.

It looks like you are putting up an intex type metal frame pool? If so, you might want to consider extruded polyethylene insulation sheets under the pool (and support posts) that would protect the liner from the edge of the pavers if the grounds sinks slightly once the pool is filled.

Sugarme said:
No dirty added and didn't dig down. We have been watering the groud and stepping on it so it can compact. The inside part is hard like a rock.. but the outer part isnt. Hubby is done with the pool. Trying to find an easy solution because I won't have a pool come past Sunday. He will not help anymore.

Save yourself a lot of time, and a lot of heartache when the ground sinks some more after you put the pool up. Go to your local tool rental shop (even big orange) and rent a vibratory plate compactor. 1 hour with that will do more than "wetting and walking" will do in a month.

-dave

phonedave's advice is also good.

Some poster's on here have put the legs right on top of the foam. I suppose you could cut out for the legs, but then there may be some slack in your liner sidewall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We rented a Toro Dingo from a hardware store. Under $150 for 24 hours ( delivered it & picked it back up for us) Rent the bucket attachment ( the Dingo is like a walk behind bobcat) borrow or rent a laser level. Without a laser/dingo tool combo, this will drag on and on. Plus you can do it all yourself.

I have this question in the back of my mind... if the outside area of the pool is where you are getting it wet and squishing in the stones... are you wetting the "hard as concrete area in the middle that same amount or are you just wetting the outside ring?? If you have a wet ring and a dry middle that is hard as concrete, it may simply be that outside are is wet and the middle is not.

I ask because my "dirt" in my back yard will get squishy wet and things will sink into it; but, if left to dry it will set-up like concrete to the point where a maul or pick-axe will bounce off it only making little "chips" of dirt and a 3/4 inch deep hole.

I don't know if this is where techguy was going but...if it is squishy only when wet, that is normal for many soils. As long as the "squishy" dirt truly is undisturbed/unexcavated soil, then I would think installing right on top (with a tarp maybe) would be fine. The patio blocks will spread out the force on the ground below them, so even if the ground got temporarily saturated, I would think the distribution of weight there would keep the post from sinking.

Yes, Linen, that is where I was going. if the entire area gets the same amount of "squishy" when wet evenly, the 40,000+ pool is going to squish itself to a happy spot if the ground is a little squishy. If the ground is hard and dry (and level) when you setup the pool, the area under the pool is not likely to get very wet.

I am going to make a guess here but once the pool is set and the the ground under the pool has dried as much as it will, the load on the legs is not huge. In a "bag pool" like Intex pool, the majority of the structural strength of the pool is in the bag/liner. The legs are there to stabilize it and keep the liner's top edge up above the water level. The pool is sort of like a big water balloon and the legs keep the "balloon" from rolling.

techguy said:
I am going to make a guess here but once the pool is set and the the ground under the pool has dried as much as it will, the load on the legs is not huge. In a "bag pool" like Intex pool, the majority of the structural strength of the pool is in the bag/liner. The legs are there to stabilize it and keep the liner's top edge up above the water level. The pool is sort of like a big water balloon and the legs keep the "balloon" from rolling.
That is my experience/understanding as well. If you liner is pulling significantly down on the legs, you did not install the pool correctly.

We are wetting the whole area the same. I'm thinking the area around the pavers are sinking because they dug out to put the pavers. I'm not really sure but I will keep compacting the dirt around it tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully I should be okay. I was also thinking of puting rocks around the pool when I'm done. I seen a couple of pictures here that people do that. Wondering if that would keep the ground by the pavers a bit dry. Last time I had the pool up. The kids were splashing so much water everywhere that the poles started sinking. That's when we took the pool down.

I will get that plate compactor hopefully tomorrow but I had a question. If the soil around the pavers is my problem can I use the compactor to go over the pavers?

Sugarme said:
The kids were splashing so much water everywhere that the poles started sinking.
Didn't know you already had a problem. Were the pavers actually sinking?

Sugarme said:
I'm thinking the area around the pavers are sinking because they dug out to put the pavers.
If there was significant digout below the pavers,which I doubt, then it could be your problem.

Sugarme said:
I will get that plate compactor hopefully tomorrow but I had a question. If the soil around the pavers is my problem can I use the compactor to go over the pavers?
I think that would work, I know that is what is done when doing paver stones for driveways, etc.

You could try adding some pool base or other "compacting" rock under the pavers and compacting the paver and rocks into the soil until the base and paver no longer compact into the soil. Compact the paver until it is level with the others. I know this is not best, but it may be a workable solution.

You could consider adding a "skirt" of landscape plastic around the perimeter of the pool. If you placed a foot of the plastic into the pool area (under the pool liner, under the pool legs, over the pavers) you could then add landscape rock over the landscape plastic once the pool is filled and settled.

I know I have one riser on my pool that is a little lower (0.5 inch) than the other 25; but it's been fine for 7 years... so I left it alone when I changed liners.

linen said:
Sugarme said:
The kids were splashing so much water everywhere that the poles started sinking.
Didn't know you already had a problem. Were the pavers actually sinking?

Sugarme said:
I'm thinking the area around the pavers are sinking because they dug out to put the pavers.
If there was significant digout below the pavers,which I doubt, then it could be your problem.

Sugarme said:
I think that would work, I know that is what is done when doing paver stones for driveways, etc.

Sorry I hope I didn't say it wrong. What I ment was that I had the pool up before and it was just on the ground with no pavers. But once we noticed that the legs were sinking we took it apart and put in the pavers. We have not set up the pool yet because we are just making sure everything is good this time before we fill up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.