wmckenzie - New user pump question

Jun 14, 2012
Georgia
Hello. I'm new to the site but have already picked up some good info. (Taking over my own pool care after a bad experience with my pool service.)

I'm trying to figure out my pump flow and how often it turns over my pool water per 12 hours. Any help would be appreciated. (Admittedly, I haven't fully searched the site for this question yet...)

Why do you care what the flow rate is?

You just need to run the pump long enough to keep your water looking clear ... there are no turn over requirements. If 12 hours looks fine, back it off to 10 then 8 then 6 until you are not happy with the way the water looks. The shorter run times will save you money.

Granted, I'm probably over thinking it. I am just trying to know my system better.

My pool builder did some goofy things (should have read "how to hire a pool builder", but he came recommended) and he is out of the business, so no help.

My pool service guys turned out to be unreliable also.

I'm finding that my Chlorine has been consistently high. (The Intellichlor generator I have is actually rated for a much larger pool.) So, I'm cutting things back slowly to see if I can keep it beautiful and clear like it is but better balanced.

I would recommend you determine the pump run time that is need to keep the pool clean and then adjust your SWG output to give you the correct level.

Do you currently have it set to 20% (minimum without the automation correct?)

It will take some trial and error to dial in the pump run time and output % since you only have increments of 20% I think.

Thanks Jason. I have recently set it down to 40% (was at 100%). Chlorine is still high so my next step is to take it down another notch. (Since my SWG is now controlled via my Easytouch panel it gives me finer control than the unit itself.) I was thinking if the Chlorine is maintained fairly high with the SWG set much lower, I'd want to adjust the pump run time. That's what got me interested in knowing my turnover.

Ah .. the Easytouch is not in your signature. (EDIT: Note too that your signature is only supposed to be 5 lines long, FYI)

The cell produces the same amount of chlorine whether you run a long time at low % or a short time at higher %. You always will need to produce the same amount per day to maintain your FC level ... cell life should be the same either way.

So, the cheapest method would be to run your pump as short as possible to maintain your pool clean (saves $ on pump electricity) and then set the % to get enough FC.

Thanks again. (I've updated the signature, hopefully that's more helpful in the future, thanks). I would like to bump the run time time down. Looks like my pump, filter, and SWG are all sized a bit aggressively for the size of pool I have. Pump is currently running 8 hours a day. Pool is 88 degrees. I'm guessing the water turns over in at least 6 hours but i'm not 100% sure.