Triton TR60 sand filter

Apr 24, 2008
Baytown,TX
I have a Triton TR60 sand filter that needs its sand changed. I have removed the drain plug, removed the clear plastic dome on the top, and disconnected the two lines on the side. Looking down inside the filter from the top I see a circular shaped device that is in the way of removing the sand through the top. Is this piece removable or do I just have to work around it? It would be much easier to get the sand out if I could take this item out but it feels like it is firmly attached and I don' t want to break anything. Any help out there?

Sammy,
Welcome to the forum. If you don't have luck getting the sand out as Jason described, rotate that piece (called a diffuser) counter clockwise and it should lift out.

Many of the Sand filter advocates on this forum almost never change the sand. Are you doing so for a specific reason?

I seem to have a lot of floating debris in the pool that is quite visible at night with the light on. I have tried using clarifiers and running the pump for long periods of time but the water never really seems to get as clean as it once did. I have let the filter get a little dirtier (higher pressure on the gauge) before I backwash in the hopes that the dirter sand will capture more debris. The pool is about twenty years old and we have lived here about seven years. I believe the sand was changed just before we moved in and the previous owners did not keep up the maintenance on the pool very well (according to the neighbors) so I think it had a lot of algae at times. At any rate, it has been at least seven years since the sand was changed. I have read many conflicting opinions regarding how often to change the sand so this is like a last resort. If this doesn't clean the water then I will not worry too much more about it. I don't have a way of measuring the effectiveness of changing the sand other than a visual inspection at night. Thanks for your input and I will try to remove the diffuser. Is that item replaceable if I break it?

I believe the "floaties" are a fact of life. My pool gets so clear sometimes you have to look twice to make sure the water is in it...............I still have floaters at night. Others on the forum have reported similar results

The sand change operation went well. I wasn't able to get the diffuser off but I was able to pivot it out of the way enough to allow room to pour in the sand. I covered the diffuser with a wet towel and then ty-wrapped a plastic bag around that to keep the sand out. The water seems cleaner already but it may be wishful thinking on my part.
I did not know that adding DE in a sand filter was permissible. I wouldn't mind trying that if it wont do any harm to anything else or end up in the pool. How much should I add?

When adding DE to a sand filter you should add 1/2 cup at a time, premixed with water and poured into the skimmer, until the filter pressure goes up by 1 PSI. Give the filter a couple of minutes to stabilize after each addition before looking at the pressure gauge. Once you know how much DE increases the pressure by 1 PSI you can add that full amount directly next time. The DE needs to be replaced after each backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.