Should I lower TA & How Long to Run Pump?

Chaika

Jun 9, 2012
Did the first complete test this morning. These are the results:

TC = 4.5 ppm (FC = 4.5 ppm and CC = 0)

TA = 220

Calcium = 240

CYA = 80

pH = 8 (might be 8.2, was pretty pink)

The main concern is the TA, which seems way high, like twice what it should be. I measured TA twice. Once in the evening and again in the morning after the pump ran all night. TA first measured 260. I think the second measurement of TA at 220 is more accurate, because with that measurement I was careful to wipe the tip of the R-0009 bottle with a damp cloth after the addition of each drop. The first time I didn't bother with that. FC was also measured twice. FC was 5 ppm in the evening and 4.5 pm in the morning (no CC either time).

That brings up another question, how long should I run the pump? Right now it runs from 10 PM to 10 AM. The pool looks good, so I'm thinking maybe I should just continue everything as it is.

If your pH is floating around, you need to lower TA. Since your pH is currently 8, you need to add MA anyway, so you can follow the process to lower TA in Pool School.

Run the pump long enough to keep your water clear. That's pretty much it.

You can most likely shorten the run time and save yourself some money on electricity. Just shorten the time until you do not feel the water is sparkly enough and then bump it up a little.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The water looks clear and blue. I guess the consensus is that I should add some muriatic acid. I'll check at Lowes later and see if I can pick some up. I'll think I will adjust the timer so that the pump shuts off a couple of hours earlier in the morning.

Update: Added some muriatic acid last night while the pump was going and tested the water this morning after the pump ran all night. I think the pH is now between 7.2 and 7.5 (it's hard to exactly match the shade of pink on the scale). Chlorine appears to be at the top end of the scale (5-10 pm) according to the measurement scale adjacent the pH scale. I didn't do the more accurate chlorine test.

TA is about 160 now. It depends on your definition of red. At 15 drops the solution becomes clear and 16 drops turns the solution pink. Maybe the better reading for TA is 17 drops to make the solution a definite red color. TA has been reduced, but still remains high. Should I worry about the high TA or leave it as it is?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.