(see below for levels)
16X32 - 11k - sand filter - AG - Chlorine - 2007
FC - 4.16
CC - 0
pH - 6.8
TA - 19
CH - 154
CYA - 117
I drained off 1 foot of water and refilled and then had a retest. (no other chemicals added)
The CYA was now 135.
I then drained the pool down to only 1 foot of water left, drained the filter, and back flushed it with fresh water.
I refilled the pool, added no chemicals and had a retest.
FC - 0.11
CC -0
TA - 67
PH - 7.1
CH - 114
CYA - 133
WHAT, I just replaced most of the water in the pool and it goes up?!? We retested and it was the same.
I had them test the tap water and the CYA was 15. I had them test from a fresh container and it was still 130.
Anyone have any ideas?
I have seen on the web some stuff about a chemical to reduce it but???

Welcome to TFP.

You've just been pool stored! :-(

You're seeing just how bad pool store tests can be.

Most CYA tests are only accurate to 100 ppm and report anything after that as 100 or above. You really have no idea how high it really is until you get your own good test and perform your own tests.

There is no chemical that we know of to reduce CYA. R/O treatments will do it but that's only available in a very few places. The only other way to get rid of it is to drain and replace water.

vv3629 said:
WHAT, I just replaced most of the water in the pool and it goes up?!? We retested and it was the same.
I had them test the tap water and the CYA was 15. I had them test from a fresh container and it was still 130.
Anyone have any ideas?

It may be their testing. I don't think tap water ever has cya in it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Yes. Stay away from Pool Stores.....you need to get your own test kit and stop trusting the completely bogus information you have been given.

Probably the biggest reason this forum exists is because you simply cannot trust pool stores.

Nothing for you to do but to drain but I would do my own testing........you might be better off than you currently think.

where is the best place to buy testing stuff and chemicals?
Well, I'd be a fool if I didn't take that bait....tftestkits.net :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, you need a really good kit (either the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006) so you can manage your own pool. Chemistry can be picked up at the grocery store, HD, Lowe's, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.