Stabilizer vs. Clarifier

As I understand it, clarifier is used to get particles that are suspended in your water to clump together and sink to the bottom so you can vacuum them up. I used it once when I had killed a bad algae outbreak and the dead algae was making the water cloudy. However, most recently when I killed algae (after I started using this website) I patiently waited for the dead algae to be filtered out by my sand filter. It took a week or so, but now my water is beautiful, and I didn't have to vacuum up the muck from the clarifier. I backwashed the filter, keep my Cl levels where they should be, and the pool is crystal clear!

What was described in consolidating particles to have them settle to the bottom to vacuum them up is usually called a flocculant. A clarifier also consolidates particles, but not so much as to cause them to fall to the bottom, but instead is designed to have them circulate to the filter where they then get caught and later removed via cleaning/backwashing of the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.