Best way to drill/punch holes

May 13, 2012
Replacing my AGP widemouth skimmer and the screw holes on the new one are not in the same places as the old one. All the screws are on the same planes, just spaced differently. So I'll have to make some new holes. I want to avoid sharp metal shavings getting into the pool for obvious reasons. Would it be best to tap an awl thru the wall to make them as opposed to drilling?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know about driving an awl or punch through the wall as that will produce a raised cone around the hole and that may cause you sealing issues.

You can drill the holes from the outside and coat the drill bit with thick silicone grease to catch the shavings. Also a piece of tape on the inside with a glob of grease behind it will catch any that go that way. Or someone holding a shop vac hose against the inside will capture them as well.

I'd invest a couple bucks in a brand-new sharp drill bit. That will help you get one of those long spirals rather than small flakes. And I'd stick a big magnet right below where I was drilling. It will also help grab anything that may have escaped when you're all done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.