Intex 2650 Sand Filter and vacuuming

Jun 9, 2012
So I bought an Intex 2650 sand filter/pump to replace the inferior pump that came with my 18' Ultra Frame. It is supposed to arrive today. I have a question about hooking up an actual vacuum. From browsing this forum and other resources, all vacuums seem to attach to the "thru the wall" skimmer or a vacuum adapter plate on a "thru the wall" skimmer. My question is this...can I hook up a vacuum directly to my new sand/filter pump? Or do I have to attach it to the port where my cheapie over the wall skimmer unit is located? Or do I have to have a "thru the wall" skimmer to use a true vacuum? Granted, I would love a "thru the wall" skimmer...but I'm a newbie and I'm taking baby steps with everything. Appreciate any insight.

You can just attach it to the port the over the wall skimmer attaches to. Depending on the size of your vacuum hose it may fit inside the opening or you might have to use the hose off the skimmer and put the vacuum hose into it. There'll be enough suction from the pump to hold it in place.

I use basically the same technique that cbgreely mentioned in his video, olny I don't use the adapter, I just place the vacuum hose over the blue Intex skimmer attachment. I'm actually on TFP now trying to find out the best way to change out my return that came with my Intex. If you return has a strainer cover and your skimmer adapter screws on over that cover, I would change it to the return that came with the sand filter....the one that will allow you to remove the strainer and then screw on the skimmer/vacuum adapter. Otherwise bugs,grass,hair,etc. will clog up the return strainer and you lose suction.

If you have the Intex over the wall skimmer; Intex's maintenece kit comes with every thing you need for vacuuming. There is a canister, filter bag and adapter that goes in the skimmer. It also comes with vacuum head, pole, hose, brush and some other items.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.